Fattening Meat Chicks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ksrees, Nov 13, 2014.

1. ksrees

ksrees New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Hi
    I am breeding sussex chooks for both meat and eggs. So far we have been very successful but Im wondering if there is an alternative to my method for fattening up? After some research I have ended up feeding them game bird starter the whole way through as it has a high percentage of protein compared to the meat bird starter & finisher.

Game Bird

ANALYSIS
    PROTEIN

%

min.
    FAT

%

min.
    FIBRE

%

max.

Meat Bird

ANALYSIS
    PROTEIN

%

min.
    FAT

%

min.
    FIBRE

%

max.
    LASALOCID SODIUM

ppm

At $30+ a bag its not only costly but hard to find in my area. Apart from layer mash I have to travel 30 mins + to get any other food. Im just wondering what other ppl use for feed to fatten their dual purpose birds - cost effectively?

Thanks

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    Oatmeal with milled flaxseed is great for feather growth and weight gain. Scrambled eggs, too. Mine love it.

3. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    The birds can only utilize so much protein regardless of how much you feed them. The extra protein just gets crapped out in a runny mess because it causes them to drink more water. Think about this, if a fast growing Cornish/Rock cross can thrive on 22% protein then that feed is more than adequate for any slower (normal) growing breed. Also, protein is only one element of a chickens diet which is why a feed formulated for chickens will more beneficial overall. If it was just a matter of protein we could cram as much of it as possible into everything to make it bigger but it just doesn't work that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by