Fattening up a Parakeet

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Loddie Da, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    I have a Parakeet/Budgerigar (Tyler) of old but unknown age that is painfully thin, I am trying to put weight on him & would like more tips to do so.

Here's what I have been doing so far:
    * Mixing hand feeding formula with peanut butter 3x week & hand feeding him
    * Added black oil sunflower seed to their diet
    * Add a multi-vitamin to their water daily
    * I'v had him de-wormed twice & blood tests are fine
    * I also give Bene-Bac from time to time

I tried switching them to a pellet feed, wich none of them took to.

He is the first one to the food & stays there the longest, He is still actting normally except for stamping his feet alot & he needs his beak & nails trimmed which my others don't, His cere & legs are also very dry.

Tylers cage mates are healthy as can be, but all are under 2 & a half where I just don't know his age.

His feathers are fluffed up, but as I said he acts like any of the others, he is just skin & bone [​IMG]

Any ideas on anything else I can give a whirl?

~ Della ~

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    He may just be getting on in years and eventually pass away. You mentioned his beak needs trimming. Trim it if you can, or have it trimmed by someone. Your vet should have been able to do it when you had him there last. If it was overlooked, maybe they can not charge you an office visit if he was in there recently and just trim his beak no charge.

Do you feed him fresh or defrosted veggies, or maybe some cooked pasta? How does his vent look? Is it clean, or is his bottom stained and crusted up with poop? I hope he perks up soon and does well, but he may just be past his prime and you may just find he passed away some day. Wish I could be more help.

3. Loddie Da

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    I get him groomed everyother month, last grooming was 2 weeks ago.

His vent is fine, clean & his poop is of normal type.

I always keep a small amount of: pumkink seed or blueberry granola, peas, dehydrated strawberries, lettuce, coconut flakes & flax seeds, peanut butter in a treat bowl in their cage, but they never seem to touch it. Never tried the pasta.

~ Della ~

4. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    mine love freash tree brantches with leaves on them to eat with pasta, rice, most greens, and a favroit fatning food is millet spray!

5. metraideanne

metraideanne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Sounds like this little bird is probably just old. But some things that might help.

Try Harrison's I've never had problems with switching birds to it. I don't even have to mix it with the old food. Just BE CAREFUL sometimes birds are so stubborn about their regular food that they won't try anything new so make sure he is eating. Maybe the previous owner was feeding him something else?

Also I love the Nutriberries, okay my birds love the nutriberries and will do just about anything to get some.

Sunflower seeds are good but very low in nutrition.

If this little one thinks people are birds he might eat anything you eat. I allow mine to taste just about anything that isn't complete junk, meat, veggies, fruit... one of my birds will touch and taste anything I offer him but the other only likes what I call 'candy' i.e. raisins, apples, bananas, carrots and doesn't really care to try lettuce or leafy greens of any sort.

Hope that helps. Otherwise just love him.

6. Loddie Da

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    Thanks guys...I think all I can do is keep doing what I am doing & try to keep him as healthy & happy as I can, as long as I can.
    I think I'll also try the Harrison's & see what they think of that.

The plus side of all of this is he is becoming much more trusting, almost handtame, which he wasn't before.

~ Della ~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by