Fattening up DP roos for butcher

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Azriel, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I have a pen of mixed age DP roos that are going to be butchered. Right now I am feeding them Flock Raiser, any thing else I can feed to help fatten them up? I don't want them fat, but more meat.

2. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    The amount of meat is more breed dependent than feed dependent. So giving them extra now will just add fat. I would suggest processing most DP roos around 18-20 weeks, they will be close to full size but still nice and tender to grill. Most DP seem small when processed. Don't be surprised when most of your roos finish out @3-4lbs. But you will love the taste and, it is such a good way to deal with all the extra roos you will raise. Don't forget to boil down those necks and bones for stock!

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Once they're grown the extra protein won't be converted to muscle unless free ranging.
    Adding weight will probably come from fat. Light breeds won't gain weight once grown.
    A secret from the old country I use is locking them up at 12-14 weeks for two to 4 additional weeks with 6-8 hours of light and feeding a mixture of grain and whole milk and whole fat yogurt.
    The milk adds fat and flavor, locking them up softens the muscle.
    They still need to be cooked long on low heat. Like 280 for 5 hours or as meat separates from the bone.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. Azriel

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    They have been free ranging till now, we are getting snow and I just locked them up, the oldest are about 4 months, the youngest about 2 months. I did butcher some DP birds back in Sept that were about 5 months and they dressed out from 3-6#,and I was happy with that. These seem smaller, and I just wanted to see if their was a way to make them a little meatier. I don't really like the breast meat all that much, so I don't care alot about that. I live alone, so I don't need a great big bird or it takes to long to finish it.
    Thanks for the input.

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I understand not wanting to hang on to little roos during snows and feeding them without free ranging. [​IMG]
    If you are processing them yourself, have you considered just doing the young ones for the broth/minimal meat they give? Some people actually do pigeons so it's possible.
    Our DP roos were the best size after 20 weeks. We could see the difference from 16 to 20.

6. Azriel

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I could wait another 2-3 weeks and just process the older ones, and let the younger ones grow up some more. The space they are in is a little tight for the # of birds that are in there, and I feel bad keeping them locked up. It looks ike the cold and snow is just going to be over this weekend and then get back up in the 50s, so I'll be able to give them outside time again for a few more weeks. I just don't want them to loose weight from being locked up.

7. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    what are dp?

8. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    DP= dual purpose

If they are given free access to food while locked up, most of them won't lose weight. The lower ranked ones might.

9. Azriel

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    DP are chickens that are used for eggs and meat, or dual purpose. Normally the larger breeds like Rocks, Orps, Brahmas, Wyandottes exct. I have also processed my extra EEs and production reds. They don't grow as fast or have as much meat as the cornishx, but they are oh so good to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by