Fattening up extra roosters for the dinner table

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken farmer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    What do you feed or give your chickens to fatten them up and about how old should you butcher them for eating? Not really about killing them but gotta start somewhere...thanks

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    When we had a dozen or so roosters to fatten up, I kept them penned in one of our coop/runs, fed them kitchen scraps, chicken feed (I honestly don't remember if it was layer feed, grower, or what - whatever it was that DH brought home....) threw in a few handfuls of wheat or corn or whatever to give them something to scratch around for. The reason for locking them up was twofold - for one, they had reached *that stage* where all they wanted to do was chase and breed the pullets and hens, and we didn't want them too active so they could get some meat on them instead of burning it all off while free ranging. I think they were between 5-7 months in age when we butchered.

3. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Thank you so much I'll keep this in mind and I'm building a little pen soon for them

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    IMO a healthy properly fed chicken doesn't need any extra fattening up but if you just want some extra fat on him for soup, broth, etc increase his corn intake by 25-50% for the last 3-4 weeks and he'll have plenty of fat. I'm talking regular chickens that you have to feed for 6-8 months before they're big enough to eat, not meat birds that are ready in 6 weeks.

5. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Yep,I know about the corn I'll do that and yes I'm NOT talking about the meat birds I'm talking about any extra roosters from egg laying hens or something

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by