1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fattening up ideas

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Missy3b, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Missy3b

Missy3b Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I have 30 cornish X and they are 4 weeks old. They seem to have stalled out this week on growing but not eating. I have been weighing them about every other day and this week they are stuck at 2- 2 1/2 pounds. I am adding more food and more waterers because I can't keep up. Does anyone supplement with other food? I am feeding feed store high protein food.

Considering they are half way to their final age, shouldn't they be bigger? Is it normal to have a period of not gaining? I was doing 12 on and 12 off but feel that I need to go to giving them access all the time. I want to see these guys get big and fat and soon. Any ideas?

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Just be patient, as they grow a lot in the last four weeks. I would just make sure they have plenty of feed and water in front of the for at least 12 hours straight, meaning they never empty. You will be surprised how fast they grow in the upcoming weeks... just keep feeding them!

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    yes, they seem to hit a plateau about halfway through but man do they make up for it in the end!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by