1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fattie's tragic news~ I'm allergic to Corn! Nooooo! :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Funky Feathers, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Gaaaah!! [​IMG] Why me? I Loooove corn, and I just found out I'm allergic to all corn products (corn syrup, corn, corn oil, corn meal, cornstarch, corn flour), and corn products are in EVERYTHING I eat & drink!! 98% of all my favorite foods! And I don't know how I will survive without Canada Dry Ginger Ale and Ice Cream and cheese, yogurt, pudding, cake, cookies, gravy, pasta, gummy vitamins, bagels, corn, cream soups, you name it! [​IMG] Please rescue me from certain death!! Anyone know of any of my favorite foods or sodas that do not contain any corn products?? [​IMG]

2. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG] [​IMG] That sounds frustrating. [​IMG] Sorry, I don't have any advice for you. But I can see your pain [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OOh wow... thats a bad one. So sorry! UGH! [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    How bad allergic are you?? If it wasnt gonna kill me, i'd still eat some things... [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    No sweet corn-- that's just wrong!!!

6. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no! That's terrible. Looks like you're going to be reading labels and making some foods (gravy, cream soups,cakes etc) yourself. Does corn give you very bad symptoms or are some parts of it, like corn gluten or whole corn meal worse than others, like high fructose corn syrup?

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I don't eat anything with processed carbs.. so that's sugar.. flour.. the lovely corn syrup... ah the list goes on.. and it seems that all packaged foods are loaded with sugar or corn syrup .. so if it comes in a can, jar or box I don't eat it..

basically, I live off of "real foods".. fresh fruits, meats, fresh veggies, dairy.. i do drink tea and water.. no juice since it has all kinds of added sugars

i do admit I miss pizza....

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    You'll be fine. really I mean it. My oldest is allergic to gluten, milk, tree nuts, corn, it goes on. You'll have to read labels, and learn to cook from scratch. Have them clarify if you should be handeling corn (feed) or if you should have gloves on. Hit the library and grab a stack of cookbooks, get some post-its and flag the recipies that don't have any foods you're allergic to. Get a crockpot for days you're at the office (gold for soaking beans) and a ricemaker (asian foods lack corn, so long as you make the sauces yourself).
    You can do it. Good news is once you do you'll feel so much better, promise.

9. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Oh I'm sorry to hear that! [​IMG] My house hold has alot of allergies. Between me and my younger brother we're allergic to :Gluten, Casein(all milk products), soy, artificial colors and flavors, preservatives, white skinned potatoes, peppers, cucumber, eggplant, bananas, oranges, perfume, mold, dust mites, most medication......Hmm I know there was more........... [​IMG]

10. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Hansen's sodas are made with real sugar, no HFCS but I don't know about the rest of the ingredients.

Just looked at their Cola ingredients. No corn stuff unless the caramel color is.

http://www.hansens.com/us/en/home/

eta You shouldn't have to live without pasta. I have never seen pasta made with corn. As for sauce, watch out for HFCS, maybe make your own and freeze?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by