Fatty Foods that are bad for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SteveBaz, Oct 26, 2011.

1. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I am wondering if there are foods like corn or starchy foods may be bad for the girls.
    Foods we feed that may have adverse effects.
    Foods we feed that have zero food value or help. Cracked corn I heard is just a filler
    Do Chickens have like a high cholesterol?
    Fats that gather around the heart that will cause birds to be obese or sickly?
    Fried foods or greasy foods or certain oils.

If we do not discuss a topic like this you would never know. Right?

2. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I'll start out by saying I have no idea..! But am wondering the same thing so I will subscribe to this post. I know there's a list of things they're not supposed to eat but I have never heard why. Here is some of that info from somewhere here on BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart. Somebody is bound to come along that knows this stuff!

3. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Well I don't know much about chickens but I would think that food or scraps of food that would be unhealthy for us humans would also be bad for chickens... but if they eat it in moderation then it might be ok. There are lists of things no to feed your chickens but my grandfather fed his 'birds' anything that could be called food, even raw potato peelings, citrus, bones from various animals, etc...

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I am sure the buttery extra pie crust dough my chickens got last night was awful for them, but they sure loved it [​IMG]

5. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I only give my chickens veggie, fruit and bread scraps.. I have heard of people feeding them all of their scraps, but i have also heard of the eggs tasting like what you feed them... I want my hens to be healthy and they can free range for bugs for protein, I don't give them any kind of meat or processed foods.. I sell my eggs and want my customers to know what goes into these girls..

6. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I feed my chickens table scraps but also eat the eggs to check for taste. Never had an egg taste like Burrito or Nachos. On the other hand, be careful about feeding french fries. Our chickens love them liek crazy but one had a stroke from them. Sad way of learning.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Did you have an autopsy and the vet said STROKE? from french fries?

8. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    Corn, oats, barley, and wheat are all very good chicken feeds and represent the bulk of feeds prepared for chickens. The form they are in differs, corn either cracked or ground, oats steam rolled, ground or left whole, barley the same or just ground, wheat rolled or ground,

check amazon.com for 'feeding poultry' and you will get some very good books there, basically anything that you eat will be good for the chickens as leftovers. Chickens need meat , for the proteins, free ranging ones fill their needs that way, confined birds are dependent on their rations, if its missing their growth and production will suffer. Chickens are omnivores, not vegetarians.

9. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I had a chicken that could only use half of her body which I tried to save but ended up putting down.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Anything with a lots of salt or lots of sugar. My girls got a small portion of leftover carrot cake and apple pie that the kids didn't finish, but again - small amount. I don't buy meat with growth hormones in it, so I don't worry about giving my girls leftover meat - although, I don't give them chicken, that's just wrong to me. Leftover meat, ham hocks, spagetti - they love it.

I'm sure Kraft macaroni and cheese isn't too great for them, but they go bonkers over it! No food here goes to the trash, it either goes to the dog or the chickens.

Just don't feed them too many scraps at once, they need their nutrition from the feed too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by