Fatty liver disease

carol0622

Chirping
Apr 2, 2016
PA
Hi all. My sweet 2 year old went to the vet because she has been ill. The vet suspects fatty liver disease. I keep reading that vitamins (specifically biotin) are good in helping prevent this in the others and possibly keeping my girls current situation "in check" (as much as possible). What do you suggest? Your thoughts? Where can I get what I need? Is there a special feed I should be giving them? Currently I am feeding Purina Layena with omega 3. I read that chickies with fatty liver should be on a feed that has a min of 17.5% crude protein and max 3.5% fat. Thanks in advance

Hi
I'm sorry to hear your girl is poorly. How is she doing?

What breed is she? Generally it is larger breeds that are more susceptible to this disease. There seems to have been quite a few Buff Orps here on BYC with it recently which may suggest a genetic factor, but diet is an important consideration along with how you feed them ie gravity feeder available ad lib, feed scattered on the ground or fed from a pan twice a day with fermented feed, and how much space they have to roam and forage and get exercise and of course what treats are given. Scratch, corn, bread etc are main offenders for this disease in my opinion.
It is my belief that too much carbohydrate in the diet is the issue rather than fat, so a higher protein feed may help (more protein usually means less carbs) and the form of the feed may also be relevant. A whole grain feed or mash where birds can pick out individual components of the feed and selectively eat their favourites may be more likely to lead to this condition than a pellet or crumble. I'm in the UK so I'm not familiar with what form the product you mention comes as.
Fermenting feed might also be beneficial in a situation like this and I believe vitamin B complex is good for helping to support the liver. Decreasing access to food ie stopping ad lib feeding, scattering food and increasing area to forage may help her but I am not sure how reversible the damage is once you start to see symptoms.

I would say that you have probably been lucky to catch her before sudden death. What symptoms are you seeing? Ascites, respiratory distress, soiled butt, prolapse, hopefully not rupture?

Hi all. My sweet 2 year old went to the vet because she has been ill. The vet suspects fatty liver disease. I keep reading that vitamins (specifically biotin) are good in helping prevent this in the others and possibly keeping my girls current situation "in check" (as much as possible). What do you suggest? Your thoughts? Where can I get what I need? Is there a special feed I should be giving them? Currently I am feeding Purina Layena with omega 3. I read that chickies with fatty liver should be on a feed that has a min of 17.5% crude protein and max 3.5% fat. Thanks in advance
It's great that you have a vet that will see chickens. What symptoms does your hen have that lead to the diagnosis of FLD? Listing those would be most helpful to others seeking information.
Here's some reading for you http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/chickens-obesity-silent-killer-how-to/

The other two who already replied have much more experience than I, but wanted to agree diet is the major contributing factor in most cases, at least from what I have read.
As has already been suggested, I don’t know how reversible it is, but would definitely encourage exercise and make sure the carb content is not too high.
For what it’s worth, I have been having struggles lately trying to figure out the best feed for my flock. Being willing to make adjustments might help your whole flock. Curious to hear her breed and to learn more about Buff Orp (and other breeds) having a predisposition to this.

Thank you all for your replies. She is an Astralorp so she is larger. The first symptom I saw was her comb and wattles became pale. My vet said it's more yellow than pale which leads her to believe its fatty liver. My vet said her skin was yellowing which made her think liver issues She has also stopped laying eggs months ago, walks really slowly and has a nasty bacterial infection confirmed through fecal text. She was given a shot of Excede and another to be given tomorrow for the bacteria. Vet also said that her abdomen is sensitive and she felt a mass. She said its definitely not an egg. Not sure if its 100% fatty liver or it's a tumor. My vet said she doesn't think the bacteria is related to her abdomen

So much online about this and its consumed me. It's all becoming jumbled as to what I should and shouldn't do. I've been giving her wet cat food and tuna for the protein since she hasnt been feeling good. Is this OK with fatty liver?? I read about making the chicken use stored body fatty (keeping food away) to help burn some of the fat but I dont know. All of my girls use a gravity feeder.

Did you ever notice any odd eggs or is she has a history of respiratory illness?

Since she has not laid eggs in a while, I wonder if she is suffering from Salpingitis and the FLD is secondary? Just speculation on my part. I'm sure Barbara will chime in.

I would provide her with her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed. Tuna, egg or a little chopped meat are fine for a protein boost.

You guys are familiar with the documentary 'Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead'?
http://fatsickandnearlydead.com/

It's quite famous. This man drank fresh fruit and vegetable juices for 60 days, lost 100 pounds and cured himself of everything.

If it's really fatty liver disease, a diet of mainly low cal produce + some protein (for a limited time, of course) would be beneficial.

Some people use baking soda to reduce odor. I don't know if you do. However, baking soda increases liver fat in poultry and can lead to fatty liver disease.

Back
Top Bottom