Faun has passed.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenWisperer, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Thanks everyone, but Faun has passed away.

Hey guys,

Yesterday I went out after school and let the big kids out to range. Everything seemed pretty normal. Faun (our amazing, beautiful F1 EE hen) was a tad bit "off". She followed me down to the house with Holly, as per usual, but she didn't talk very much - which was odd, seeing as how she is a big talker. She did, however, voraciously go after her treats of the day - raisins, corn thrown out in the yard, foraging for tomatoes in the garden. She drank, but I did not see her poop (or remember it) - but then again, it doesn't get any newer around here!

Today, however, is a different story. I wasn't feeling well, so I didn't go to school - and something didn't feel right. I went out to check on everybody, let the big kids out to range - the babies were fine, gave them some raisins. Went, let the big kids out, all was well - except faun was nowhere to be seen. And I panicked, god I panicked. Faun is almost always the first one out - I ran over, got in the run, and there she was - underneath the coop. She was stooped over, her wings droopy, her tail down, and her comb was dark, purple - blue even. It scared me senseless - Hollys comb got white when she was sick, the only time i'd ever seen a blue comb was in dead birds. She wasn't panting, just standing there. I ran back into the coop, got some corn, tried to get her to come out.... nothing. She barely even looked at me.

I got mom, and we got her out - We brought her in, and put her in a tub - but when I sat her down, she wouldn't even sit up. At first, I was sure she was eggbound - her rear is "firm", and when you massage it, she groans and tries to move away. It must hurt her, because she's never reacted like that. But now, I'm not so sure. I'm guessing either A) she has some sort of infection, B) there is something going on with her egg tract, or C) something got her through the fence, and this is a stress reaction. I'm not sure how chickens react to extreeme stress - but it's a theory, seeing as how there is all kinds of dirt caked on her face, and it looks like there is saliva or something dried on some of her head feathers. There is, however, no tears in the flesh or blood. Her pupils are dialated, her eyelids are dark around the edges. Her vent is normal. She is thin - and, to my amazement, does have some mites - considering the fact I dusted them not too long ago. They were wormed in May, before the chicks arrived. I haven't gotten any green/blue eggs in a while, but the girls have been laying EVERYWHERE and I figured they had layed outside and rolled away, or something of the like.

I didn't give her a warm bath, as I was afraid the stress would kill her. We called the vet, and he said to just keep her comfortable, that there was nothing we could do - that he tried surgery on a hen the other day, but she died not very long afterwards. I figured she was on the way out, so about 10:30 or so, I got a warm towl, and held her while watching a favorite childhood movie, figuring the least I could do was love her and comfort her.

A bit later, she was still reacting to sound, turning her head an opening her eyes. We gave her some yogurt, waited. She looked a bit better later. We gave her a small dosage of .1ml clindomyacin diluted with water to .4ml.

She pooped not long ago - very watery and smelly, but there was both distinct parts of the poo (the white and brown). She did stand up too, but laid back down and is resting.

Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like she might be eggbound. Try putting her in a pan of warm water and massaging her underside for awhile. Then put on a plastic glove and lubricate inside her vent with vegetable oil, also check inside for any obstruction or broken eggshell. I also recommend retreating all your chickens and their houses for lice/ mites. They will suck their blood causing anemia and eventually death...dont take them lightly, that could be your problem.

3. crazyhorse2098

crazyhorse2098 New Egg

Jun 15, 2010
    I can't really help, but I must say, the dark comb means something...might be her heart, but if you can get to a good chicken book, I bet if you look up dark comb, you will get some ideas...probably tooo many! I have a great book at home, but for the life of me can't remember the name...google chicken Rx or something like that....maybe you'll find something....I hope it's not too late...[​IMG] keep loving her if nothing else...good luck and keep us posted!

4. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:If she gets better, I will try it - right now, I don't want to stress her any more than I have to. I will, however, lubricate her vent, and see if she will let me massage her belly at all.

I don't, trust me - I had a horrific problem withe them, when I still considered myself a "newbie". I am going to treat the chooks and the coop ASAP. Is it safe to dust her, as sick as she is?

I can't really help, but I must say, the dark comb means something...might be her heart, but if you can get to a good chicken book, I bet if you look up dark comb, you will get some ideas...probably tooo many! I have a great book at home, but for the life of me can't remember the name...google chicken Rx or something like that....maybe you'll find something....I hope it's not too late...hit keep loving her if nothing else...good luck and keep us posted!

It's a theory. I will google it and see if anything comes up.

She is seeming to be a bit better.... I put her in my room, the warmest room in the house. When I took the thin sheet off the top of the tub, she made a soft noise and looked up to me. A great thing, considering what a talker she is! I hope it's a good sign.​

5. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I lost a Black Austrolorp with the exact same description. My Penny just stood there with her tail down and her head down. I don't know how to really feel for an egg so I didn't know what to do. I brought her inside, fed and watered her, and let her be. 48hr she was gone. Her comb was dark blue, but that was after she was gone. The day she died it was blue in spots. It got darker and darker. I would try something now and not wait. What about KY Jelly instead of vegetable oil? I suppose it doesn't matter really as long as it's slippery, but KY is sterile.

6. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Thank you guys, for your support and advice, but Faun just passed.

I regret not being able to help my baby girl, but at least she died in my arms and she isn't in pain anymore.

7. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear about her passing.

8. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Thanks. I don't know if it's really hit me yet..... I'm gonna miss her.

9. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by