fav. easter egger??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Briney Dave, May 8, 2009.

1. Briney Dave

Briney Dave Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Fremont, Ohio
    As my kids wait (not at all with any sort of patients I might add) for me to gather up enough salvaged lumber to put a decent coop together. (Mom has us on a very tight budget)

they have taken up to searching for breeds. We have settled on the silver lace but my wife is still insisting on at least a couple Easter eggers:

So which EE'ers are your favorites and why?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I love all my EE's my ghirls have very definite personalities and each is soo unique... BTW [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  3. Briney Dave

Apr 28, 2009
    Fremont, Ohio
    which easter breeds do you keep or do I have that sort of wrong?
    its hard to figure out. I thought that Gold lace W's laid blue and green eggs but one of the on-line hatcheries that I was thinking of buying chicks from labeled them as brown egg hens.

the silver lace will take care of that part so we want some easter eggs too.

4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

All Wyandottes lay brown eggs. Only Ameraucana's, EE's and Aracauna's lay green or blue eggs.
    To make things simple, you want EE's which are often called Ameraucana's. If you're ordering from a hatchery, order any of the 3 above and you will get EE's. Not *all* EE's lay blue or green, but most do.
    Did that help or make things more confusing? [​IMG]

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Type in Easter Eggers in the search box... There have been MANY discussions on them... I see my girls as mutts, they have many colors , sizes , muffs , beards etc... They are in my opionin mixed breeds... Now if you are wanting Blue eggs then you ned to find Americaunas/ Auracaunas as these are the true breed that EE's came from.. It is my understanding that thru years of mixed breeding we get EAster Eggers that lay green eggs in many varying shades ... From what i have heard you will not get True Americanas or Auracanuas fromm hatcheries..

6. Briney Dave

Apr 28, 2009
    Fremont, Ohio
    Man, there is a bit of mis-info out there on this topic. I think I found three or four different people talking about their gold lace easter eggs. Maybe they have cross breeds and are not aware of it or just weird single birds.

Glad I asked!!

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure among the above I can make my wife's odd need for colored eggs happy [​IMG]

7. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Quote:Wyandotte is a breed that lays brown eggs.

Gold Laced is simply a color pattern, not breed. Easter Eggers come in many colors, GL is one of them.

8. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Easter Eggers that have definitely got some Buff Orp blood in them somewhere because they're little blond birds with chipmunk cheeks (check avatar). Others are mottled or splashed black and white so I figure they've got some kind of Hamburg or Wyandotte blood. Several of my EEs are part Rhode Island Red or Red Sex Link. Still trying to figure out where my part blue EE came from but the reason I love EEs so much is because of the many colors and body types I get.

9. Briney Dave

Apr 28, 2009
    Fremont, Ohio
    Thanks Melissa, I clearly had all that wrong.
    The naming is not as bad as with corals but it still takes some time to get a handle on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by