1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Faverole deformed beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Floc Quebecois, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hey everyone,

These pics are of our new faverole chick; she's about 6 weeks. She seems to be unable to completely close her beak... also, her right eye is a little funky... It got watery yesterday and for a little while she couldn't close it all the way.

Today her eye seems a little better...

Besides these problems, she's vey active and eats well...

Any advice? anything we can do to help her get better?

Thanks in advance; this forum is so helpful for us first-time coopers...

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Looks like she has a very mild cross beak which will cause her no problems at all. Her eye should improve daily. Maybe she was pecked in the eye. You could apply triple antibiotic ointment or give it a couple days and see if it improves on its own. She's gonna be so gorgeous!

3. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:Thanks nurse_turtle!
    We thought it wasn't that bad, but since we are new to all this, we just wanted a few opinions... We just don't want the poor thing to suffer... I'm glad she's gonna be ok!
    We did trimmed her beak a little bit and it seems to help... We don't plan on breeding or anything anyway; we have chickens for eggs, self-sufficiency, pets... and love! [​IMG]
    Her eye is still a little watery this morning: i read it could be related to the beak deformity... What kind of ointment can we put on it?
    What about the "band-brace-like" thing? Could it work with her? And how does it work?

She's soooo gorgeous already!!! [​IMG]

4. zenhen

zenhen New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    I have a 6 month old rooster with the same problem, except his is way worse than yours. he is still healthy for the most part, but the only problem that he has, that you might have problems with in the future ,might be water that dribbles down their chest, and causes it to stay wet all the time. which leads to a fungal infection on his skin causing it to stay red all the time. you need to make sure to keep the flooring in their pen/roost dry. and if their chest gets red, apply some tea tree oil to the affected area to make the fungal infection go away. yours does not look to bad though. they may wheeze a little bit too, but that is because their mouth gets dry.

5. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:Good to know! We'll keep an eye on it!
    Could you please post a picture? I'd love to see your roo: seems like we get curious about people with the same experience! [​IMG]
    Thanks!

6. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Hey guys!

Just thought i would give you a little update on our little fav girl...
    She is great! She eats and drinks normaly ( not a single drop on her chest!) and seems to be gaining weight! [​IMG]
    So far, nothing would tell she's not 100%...
    Her eye seems to be better as well, although i'm not sure she can see 100% with it: she uses her left eye more often, even for close range seeing ( which she should be doing with her right eye, right?)

Anyway... She is active and clearly the cutest thing: she's a fighter! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by