Faverolle chicky.... not doing so well?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aneesa's Muse, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    This is the one chick that hatched for me ..out of the 2 Faverolle eggs I got from Ben's "mom"... still waiting on the 8 that were set a few days later

[​IMG]
    "Divaaaaaaaa!!!"

[​IMG]
    " *grrrrruuunnnnnnnnttt!!* "

[​IMG]
    "I'm an arrrrtist!!"

For someone that won't start eating until tomorrow or so, she sure leaves me a lot of little masterpieces. [​IMG]

And her feet are fine ...she just needs a little help with 3 of her toes (one on one foot, two on the other). While intervention is sometimes necessary, IMO, it is a bittersweet decision to make...

Thanks for lookin'! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    And I thought the way I talk about my babies is sick. You definitely win the sick for chickies contest! [​IMG]

3. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks... I think? [​IMG]

4. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    The little chica seems to be plumb worn out from her feet affliction ..even though I made the little ortho boots lighter and less bulky for her.

I find her lying down a lot ..and sleeping.

She does make her way to the waterer and stick her little beak in between the marbles and then tilt and swallow ..but not interested in starter yet, I guess.

Her center of gravity seems to be quite a bit off, too. Is there something I can do about that? Her toes are straightening out little by little ..just her topple factor is pretty great right now [​IMG]

Oh.. and I put a little Sexlink chick in there with her (the other egg didn't hatch ..and her siblings --8 eggs-- aren't due to hatch until today, so she was lonesome). It's the cutest thing ..the little Sexlink is soooo protective of her ..she pecks my hand and arm when I reach for the baby, to help her stand up or whatever.

5. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Owwww, cute! What made you decide to get Faverolles?[​IMG]

6. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks!

When I originally looked into getting chickens again (had them on the farm, as a child), Faverolles fit most of my criteria ...egg laying, weather capable, friendly, and pretty! Oh, and there's a bantam version ..for living in the city (smaller birds = more birds [​IMG] )

7. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

How's your sick chick doing? I have a black langshan that wouldn't eat in the beginning. I ended up mixing starter with water and adding a little yogurt to the mix, then I fed him with a medicine dropper. After a day of doing this he figured out how to eat the chick starter. Good luck!!

Sonja

8. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I made the same mixture last night and fed her ..but this morning, she's not doing well at all. She's weak and she feels cooler than she should.

I helped her drink a little water and put her back under the lamp ..she rolls around a lot now... but it doesn't look good.

I'm still waiting for the other 8 eggs to hatch, so we'll see how she fares with some buddies. For now, she has her feathery froggie ..and me.

9. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    The little Diva is gone.. [​IMG]

10. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I'm sorry about your chickie, she was so cute. I lost two pullets last week to picking--it was awful. I hope your others hatch out healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by