Faverolle has Stopped Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaitlyn_2001, Jan 3, 2018.

1. kaitlyn_2001

kaitlyn_2001 Hatching

Jan 3, 2018
    Hello, my 2 y/o Faverolle, Jonesy, has stopped laying recently.
    She hasn't given me an egg in about 2 weeks. I am very concerned about this as she has never stopped laying before, she usually gives me an egg every 2-3 days, (this is because Faverolles aren't very strong layers in the first place), but now she has stopped, in the last week she has gone to the nesting box twice to go to lay, she spends about two hours-ish in there, but never lays. I have also ran her a bath to treat egg binding, this also did not work.
    I recently lost a chicken to Egg Peritonitis and I would not like anything similar to happen to my beloved Jonesy. All help is appreciated,
    - Kaitlyn.

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Songster

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I think she might be having a late molt. She should have stopped laying and molted in the late fall. Normally 18 month old chickens have their first big molt. If she didn't then she might be doing that now. Chickens don't lay when they are molting.

3. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold or Swan Pond
    I agree. She doesn’t sound sick. Probably molting. I wouldn’t stress about it but I would watch her just as a precaution but I really think it’s nothing serious.

4. kaitlyn_2001

kaitlyn_2001 Hatching

Jan 3, 2018
    At the moment it is Summer in Australia. So I am pretty sure she is not in a late Autumnal moult.

5. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Songster

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Oh goodess. Didn't know you were in Australia. In that case are you having unusually warm weather? Faverolles deal with cold weather more easily than hot weather. I've had my egg production go down in the hottest part of the summer.

6. kaitlyn_2001

kaitlyn_2001 Hatching

Jan 3, 2018
    Past two weeks we have had pretty warm weather, around 30°C to 40°C when it's really hot, (86°F to 104°F). And she has tried to lay in these conditions. My other hens have laid just fine in these temperatures and I always make sure my hens stay cool in these heatwaves. At the moment, the temperature has been pretty cool, usually at around 28°C, (82°F).

7. crazy rooster34

crazy rooster34 Chirping

May 28, 2016
    heat can cause them to stop laying in my experience when it gets to 95+ for a couple days a few of my hens will take off laying until it cools off, hope that helps

8. kaitlyn_2001

kaitlyn_2001 Hatching

Jan 3, 2018
    The weather is much cooler now and we've had bouts of rain for the past week, I would assume she'd resume laying by now, but as of yet, she has not. At this point I am getting very concerned for her health, not laying for this long must have some sort of adverse effects?

9. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    My Faverolles despise the heat and won't lay when it's hot. I don't like the heat either, and I'd melt where you are!

Mine may lay sporadically after a heat wave then molt late summer. Older hens may quit altogether.

10. kaitlyn_2001

kaitlyn_2001 Hatching

Jan 3, 2018
    Thank you everyone for your help! I guess I'll just have to play the waiting game and see what happens. If she lays again I'll update this Thread, if she hasn't laid in another week, should I get concerned?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: