Faverolle: male? female? salmon? other?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Curlita, May 29, 2008.

1. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have two Salmon Faverolle hens (?) age ~3 months. I was looking at pics today of Fav chicks and Fav hens and thinking, "Hmmm, how funny! They are cream chicks.... and they become cream adults.... but my teen chick-hens have a lot of black and brown... just like the picture of the salmon fav. rooster I just saw."

The guy I got them from seemed pretty certain they were hens. And what do I know, I'm a chicken novice. Below are Scarlett and Cocoa Vin, with one of the Autralorps in the background.

Ideas?

[​IMG]

2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    They are most definitely roosters, but the don't look pure bred to me. They don't have a big enough beard by now. Are their feet feathered with 5 toes? And what color are their legs? They are most definitely not SF pullets though, sorry [​IMG]

3. Curlita

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Poop. Sigh.

Well, fortunately they guy will credit me the cost of a roo towards another chicken, but I was so excited to get Salmon Faverolles and these were the last two he had.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. Curlita

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, and their legs are white with five toes, and they are feathered.

Any chance they are pullets of another breed? I'd be bummed if they weren't SFs, but not as bummed as I would be if they were roos.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Definately salmon faverolle cockerels, although the quality doesn't look that great..

6. Curlita

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Should I get in touch with the guy about swapping them out right away or wait and see what develops (er, so to speak)? They are 3 months old, so I thought he'd be able to sex them pretty well by that age. No combs or wattles to speak of. Though he might be off on the age as well.

Gads, I hope that the Australorps are female! Ack.

7. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    They are definitely SF roos, no doubt. They never get large combs or waddles to speak of. My year old females just have a hint of a comb and no waddles. My roos who are 4 months old have huge beards and muffs but no combs or waddles. And you can tell at just a few days old when the dark feathers start coming in. The females never have dark feathers like that, they are only cream and salmon colored. I will try to take a pic of them when I get home from work today for you.

8. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Here's a pic of a 10 wk old pullet. She was killed about 2 days after this pic was taken. It's not the greatest pic, but you can see the difference in color.

[​IMG]

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Sorry to butt in--but that's a GORGEOUS cochin(?) in your pic! [​IMG]

10. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Thanks! I can't wait to get some babies form him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by