faverolle over EE...what to keep?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new&learning, Mar 14, 2011.

1. new&learning

new&learning In the Brooder

I have a trio of faverolles and three EE hens. My husband says let what ever hatch that is under our frequent EE broody (next time she decides to go broody). I am feeling guilty for mixing the breeds. The eggs from the EEs are much bigger than the faverolles. I am in this for the eggs but like the idea of being able to color sex the babies of the faverolles. so I am not sure what eggs to put under her next time she decides to sit. Im not sure what a faverolle/EE will look like. any suggestions?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    There's no way to know for sure what your Fav / EE chicks will look like until you see them, since the EEs are crosses. Even to put them into the online genetics calculator is iffy. BUT I would set some of their eggs too, you should get some really interesting / beautiful chicks! If you have green egg layers, you might get some olive eggers out of them, and some of them will have extra toes and feathered legs. Actually, when I had a layer flock covered by a Fav roo, all the chicks had feathered legs.... [​IMG] I bet with that cross you'd even be able to easily sell the extras on craigslist, AND the Fav blood should make the roos beefier and better for eating the extras! [​IMG] To me, you just can't go wrong with a Fav mix!

3. new&learning

new&learning In the Brooder

thank you for the reply. i see that you have faverolles also....have you crossed them with anything and have pictures that you could show me? my EE eggs are sooo much larger than the Fav. and that is one reason that im leaning towards mixing them. im suprised taht i might be able to sell them on craigs list being mixed. thanks for the response. [​IMG]

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I never took any pics of my crossed chicks, because I knew I wasn't going to keep them. I had a Faverolles roo over the following hens: buff orpington, barred plymouth rock, gold laced wyandottes, silver laced wyandottes, EEs, black australorp, blue wyandotte. I never kept the chicks long enough to see how they turned out as adults. But, I had chipmunky chicks, black chicks, and striped chicks. One person hatched a chick whose momma was the barred rock, and it looked exactly like a feathered shank cuckoo marans with a big fat beard! lol

I always put my mutt chicks on craigslist for $3 each. People go nuts for pretty egg laying birds, and people really like Faverolles and Faverolles crosses, the breed has a lot to offer. [​IMG]

5. Lisa202

Lisa202 Songster

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:What is this online genetics calculator you speak of?

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
  7. Lisa202

Lisa202 Songster

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Thanks!!...but it didn't have either of my chickens. I have a buff brahma that mated with a black cochin. What do you think I'll get?

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Put in the buff brahma as a buff columbian. It doesn't go by breed, just color, so sometimes it can be off a bit, but it gives you an idea... all of your chicks should be black, some might have some buff leakage, but all will be black. [​IMG]

9. Lisa202

Lisa202 Songster

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    That's cool. I'm also hatching eggs that are buff brahma roo with random assorted EE's. That should be interesting.

You know what...I'm getting white silkies and they'll eventually grow up and be mated with the buff brahma. What would that make??

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Depends if it's dominant white or recessive white....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: