Faverolle pronunciation?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by P0U1TRYP3RS0N, Apr 5, 2008.

1. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I say it FAV-UH-ROLL. I thought that was the correct pronunciation, but then I've heard one of my 4-H leaders and a person at a hatchery pronounce it FAV-AH-RELL or something like that. Anybody out there raise favs' and know how to say their name??

2. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    Yours is the correct French pronunciation.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

As a long time French student way back when, yours is more correct. In fact, it's even more like Faff-uh-Rawl, with the V sounding more like an F.

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I always say it like Fav-er-oll, but I have also heard the fav-a-rell and also fav-roll. We call them fat rolls jokingly, the first one we had was fat and her beard looked like fat rolls.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We call them fat rolls jokingly, the first one we had was fat and her beard looked like fat rolls.

That's a good one, LOL. They do look sort of like that sometimes!​

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have no idea how to pronounce it LOL But they are little fat rolls with beards and probably the only feather footed breed I will have besides may be big a cochin they are here for comic relief.

Henry

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes yours is the correct pronoucation but I have heard both ways in breeders.

I do believe they are rolly polly of a chicken LOL! At least my Blue Salmon girl was named Truffles, after that big hunky of a chocolate I saw in the candy store! Yummy!

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    That is our main SF roo's name, Truffles. We have a hen named bon-bon or bonny, then there is Mrs. Good bar, the other roo is Snickers, he chuckles, then the other hens are cinnimon roll and paprika

9. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    I know this is an ancient thread but after going to a swap last weekend and hearing someone (who had very poor quality favs) pronounce it either fav-er-olies (like roly poly) or fav-er-alis (like Mohammed Ali), can't remember which, I decided that I should just look it up so I wouldn't be mispronouncing it and sounding like a goob. Anyhow, I was saying it similar to all of you so I feel better. So to all of you faveroly or faverale (maybe similar to the federale mexican police??) owners...... Get something easier to say!.... Like..... Easter eggers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    We musn't forget to keep the "s" on the end of the breed name Faverolles. It's named after the town/village of Faverolles in France. Faverolles are my favorite breed, they are just so sweet, including the roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by