Faverolle question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiny529, Jan 22, 2012.

1. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Hi! I currently have 5 gals and am interested in getting some new chicks in the spring. I would love to have a Salmon Faverolle or two but I have read that they don't do well in a mixed flock. What have your experiences been with Faverolles in a mixed flock?

Also, none of my current girls are feather leggers, so my plan was so get a BUNCH of feather leggers (Langshans, Brahmas, Faverolles, and Cochins) to kind of overwhelm my girls with feather leggers and then we'd thin out the flock (while loading up the freezer). Does this sounds like a good plan or an absolute disaster?

2. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    I have Faverolles with a mixed flock and they do just fine. They are not in the top of the pecking order, but they do not have any problems. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    So pretty! I'm so excited about getting them. They have such a funky look. [​IMG]

4. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    I have had Faverolles in with a mixed flock for over 2 years. While they are not at the top of the pecking order, as Poularde mentioned, still they get along quite well with my Brahmas, Cochins, Marans and Easter Eggers. The rooster that lives with my laying flock is a 2 1/2 year old Salmon Faverolles that has fought off a raccoon and lived to tell about it. He has a very sweet temperament and never gives me any problems. They make good eating too! I butcher all the extra cockerels and send them to "freezer camp".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  5. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    What a handsome fellow! That's our plan too. I ordered 5 straight run Salmon Faverolles. The current plan is to keep one boy and one girl and butcher the rest. Mind you, this is our first foray into meaties so I don't know what will happen when the time comes. I'll probably hand them off to my husband and then run off bawling my eyes out. [​IMG]

6. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    Okay... So I did what I said I'd do and got me a few Salmon Faverolles. They are now 7 weeks old. Straight run yielded 2 boys and 3 girls. Out of the the girls, 2 don't look very well bred (they have black all down their breasts) and one looks awesome. The one that looks good is being brutalized by everyone else. They peck out her back feathers so now she's got a bare back with some broken pin feathers sticking out. I decided to separate her from everyone else. Now she's in a dog cage inside the run with my laying hens. I'm hoping that once her back looks better, my big girls will be used to her and she can integrate into the main flock before the other chicks are introduced. She's actually sitting in my lap as I type this. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by