Faverolles, Buckeyes, and Comets?

comeonsammy

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2016
PNW
Hey everyone! New to this site, not to chickens. Due to predators, old age, and a car... My flock has diminished in size. I'm preparing for an order of chicks this spring, and just can't make up my mind.
I KNOW I want Salmon Faverolles, and I'm also wanting some Buckeyes. I've heard great things about them. Where I'm conflicted is... I'm not sure if I want to add Golden Comets to the mix also. I've had them before and loved them.
Any input on mixing these breeds?

I'm also thinking of replacing my roo (a Delaware/Ameraucana mix) with a Faverolles, but I'm kind of hesitant in case I end up with a real jerk.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! New to this site, not to chickens. Due to predators, old age, and a car... My flock has diminished in size. I'm preparing for an order of chicks this spring, and just can't make up my mind.
I KNOW I want Salmon Faverolles, and I'm also wanting some Buckeyes. I've heard great things about them. Where I'm conflicted is... I'm not sure if I want to add Golden Comets to the mix also. I've had them before and loved them.

I'm also thinking of replacing my roo (a Delaware/Ameraucana mix) with a Faverolles, but I'm kind of hesitant in case I end up with a real jerk.
Faverolle hens are typically more submissive to higher flock members. I've never had any experience with Buckeyes. Red Sex-Links (or Golden Comets) are great as well.

As for a breeding, it would be interesting to see what the birds would make. Actually, I pretty sure a Buckeye male x a Salmon Faverolle hen would make Red Sex-Link chicks.

Faverolle hens are typically more submissive to higher flock members. I've never had any experience with Buckeyes. Red Sex-Links (or Golden Comets) are great as well. 

As for a breeding, it would be interesting to see what the birds would make. Actually, I pretty sure a Buckeye male x a Salmon Faverolle hen would make Red Sex-Link chicks. 

Hmm... That's interesting. If I did replace my roo I would lean towards the Faverolles because of their reputation for being docile. One thing I can't stand is an aggressive roo!

Last edited:

All of these breeds (Golden Comets are actually Red Sex Link hybrids) will mix fine together as long as they are not overcrowded. Overcrowding can quickly lead to agression, fights, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism with any breeds. If loads of eggs are important to you, I would definitely suggest adding the Golden Comets as they are egg laying machines outlaying even the Faverolles. Another alternative you might want to consider are Black Sex Links (Black Stars) which in my personal experience tend to be more friendly and hardier than Golden Comets. Like Golden Comets, they will consistently churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year and they are especially persistent layers in really cold winter weather. As far as the Faverolles go, I don't think you can go wrong with them as they are beautiful birds and good layers that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (good lap pets). For this reason I agree with comeonsammy's idea about replacing your rooster with a Faverolle rooster as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock.

All of these breeds (Golden Comets are actually Red Sex Link hybrids) will mix fine together as long as they are not overcrowded. Overcrowding can quickly lead to agression, fights, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism with any breeds. If loads of eggs are important to you, I would definitely suggest adding the Golden Comets as they are egg laying machines outlaying even the Faverolles. Another alternative you might want to consider are Black Sex Links (Black Stars) which in my personal experience tend to be more friendly and hardier than Golden Comets. Like Golden Comets, they will consistently churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year and they are especially persistent layers in really cold winter weather. As far as the Faverolles go, I don't think you can go wrong with them as they are beautiful birds and good layers that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (good lap pets). For this reason I agree with comeonsammy's idea about replacing your rooster with a Faverolle rooster as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock.

I didn't think of black sexlinks. I was gifted one when I first got chickens but she was too old to lay. She was the dominant chicken, fighting any new cockerel or rooster while my chill polish couldn't care less lol. I guess that's why I didn't think of them since the one I had was so crazy.
I don't need crazy egg production. Some would be nice. ;) I am more focused on temperament, hence Faverolles. My roo now isn't aggressive but he's related to at least 3 of the hens (his mom and two sisters), and he's just flighty and obnoxious. His dad was a lot more calm. That's what I would prefer. And I have zero tolerance for aggressive roos, having two small children. And for the hen's sake! I know aggressive roos come in all shapes and sizes, but I'm hoping to end up with a docile cockerel so I can replace the current man in charge.

Last edited:
Oh and I'm not worried about overcrowding. I have a decent sized coop. 10 hens so far has been the sweet spot it seems. Not to mention their run is being overhauled and will be partially covered for more space. Right now they free range and I haven't got an egg in months!

I didn't think of black sexlinks. I was gifted one when I first got chickens but she was too old to lay. She was the dominant chicken, fighting any new cockerel or rooster while my chill polish couldn't care less lol. I guess that's why I didn't think of them since the one I had was so crazy.
I don't need crazy egg production. Some would be nice.
wink.png
I am more focused on temperament, hence Faverolles. My roo now isn't aggressive but he's related to at least 3 of the hens (his mom and two sisters), and he's just flighty and obnoxious. His dad was a lot more calm. That's what I would prefer. And I have zero tolerance for aggressive roos, having two small children. And for the hen's sake! I know aggressive roos come in all shapes and sizes, but I'm hoping to end up with a docile cockerel so I can replace the current man in charge.

A Faverolle would likely be a good breed choice for your rooster then. Just keep in mind that there can always be an exception with any breed.

Back
Top Bottom