Faverolles

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pixiechick, Jun 10, 2008.

1. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I ordered a few salmon faverolles this spring bc I heard they were good tempered. I love mine but they are rather skiddish. I haven't read many posts about them. I'd love to see some pics and experiences others have had with the breed. I'm a sucker for feather legs![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Oh I know those feather legs get me every time too! [​IMG] I have two salmon faverolle and mine too as skiddish. I have been FORCING them to like me lol I hold them a little each day and walk around with them on my arms...ONE seems to be getting a little better but the other just squawks when I pick her up. [​IMG] I hope they get a little more trusting but if not...the sure are pretty! Right now mine are only a little over 2 weeks old so I'm hoping I can get them a little more calm being they are still young [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have 4 faverolle hens and 1 rooster. They arent skittish. They are calm chickens. Mine are around 2 months old. I got them from Cackle in April.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Are those blue salmon? mine don't look like that usually when they start laying they become as friendly as can be ! they are stupid little things good layer and ridiculosly friendly in my experiance [​IMG]

5. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I ordered mine from MM as salmon faverolles-- didn't sy anyting about blue. I held mine for twenty minutes at night when they were chicks, but they didn't seem to enjoy it as much as the others. I'm hoping its just a teenage thing . If not, I have an EE and a silkie who will gladly take any attention I have to spare. I love how round and fluffly they look. As chicks, they reminded me of baby owls.

6. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Hi Folks,

I have 10 Faverolles I ordered through a local store from Cackle Hatchery. I have several that are colored like Pixiechicks. I also have some that look like the photos I've found online and one that is more of a buff color and a male that is very dark.

These are my first chickens so I have no idea if they are just variations of the the Salmon color, or if they are not salmons, or if they will change color as they mature. Not that it matters.

I can't really comment on their temperament - I don't have anything to compare them with. They are not fond of being picked up but they will come running for treats and sit on my shoulder or lap if they are bored.

This one looks salmon to me:
    [​IMG]

This one looks buff to me:
    [​IMG]

This is the male, he's very dark.
    [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I used to raise Salmon, Blue Salmon, Blue and Black Faverolles and the Sandhill Preservation Mahogany Faverolles

What I see in the first pic are the "Sport" Faverolles which it is a wild color of its own and I would not be calling it at any color except Sport. Looks nothing like a Salmon color.

This was my Blue Salmon Faverolle Bantam I had...she was a sweetie
    [​IMG]

This pic is the Mahogany Faverolle hen... [​IMG]

These are the Mahogany Faverolle Bantam pullets first generation... [​IMG]

Sorry I no longer have any Faverolles anymore.

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Here is one of my salmon faverolle hens from Meyer hatchery

[​IMG]

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Wow, those are beautiful birds, maybe someday I'll get some.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have 2 pullets and 2 cockerels. They are bantams. One of the pullets looks light like the pictures of a regular salmon, the other pullet has a little darker in her wings. But they are only 2 months old. I too noticed they seem to be a bit more skittish than the other ones they are with(barred rock, silkies, cochins, orpington). The only one more skittish is the mille fleur d uccle I have and they have always been skittish with me. I also have a couple rir and they are the friendliest of all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by