Faverolles

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by beakkeeper, Jul 21, 2008.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Does anyone know how Chanteclers are as family pets? We are also looking for info on Faverolles, Wyandottes, Dominiques, and Australorps...

2. balticbabe

balticbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    King County, WA
    My Faverolles are the most docile of any of them but they also are the most noisy, like little yippy dogs. I hope they grow out of it. My Wyandotte is rather aloof. Don't have any experience with the other breeds. don't know if my experience is typical but there it is.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I had one Faverolle chick... very flighty!!! But so very cute... I will eventually get some bantam ones. Had one Australorp mix... very mild mannered and friendly compared to some of the other chicks [​IMG]

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My Faverolles are very flighty.
    They are just hatchery birds and I am not sure if breeder's birds would be any different. They are cute as little buttons and very quiet but I wish I could pick them up and pet them like I do the other breeds I have in with them. Only the Jersey Giants are worse about not wanting to be held. At least we can catch the Jersey Giants, not so with the Faverolles.
    They are all 9 wks old and the Buff Orps, EE's and Barred Rocks climb all over us.
    Our Wyandottes are not as friendly either but they sure are gorgeous, we have the Golden laced.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I used to raise Faverolles and they are so friendly and curious birds. However they do get picked on by other birds due to their temperment. They dont fight back as hard like other birds do and rarely I would have a top dominant Faverolle hen in the mixed breed flock.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I got my Favorelles from Cackle. They are salmon favorelles. Very friendly, and calm birds.

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My Wyandottes started out a bit shy, but now they're amoungst the easiest to handle.

8. mthrclckr

mthrclckr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area, CA
    I don't know about the other breeds, but I just *love* my Faverolles bantams. My oldest one used to be somewhat shy, and although she still doesn't really like to be held, she loves to peck around at my feet, and get her pouffy posterior scritched in acknowledgement. My other girl, who is just about a year old, is the ultimate lap chicken. If I sit down and she's in the mood for a scritchie, she'll come over and jump onto my lap to get her daily neck massage. The three pullets that I just started to let free-range, they crowd around my feet and make all sorts of funny beeping noises when I go outside.

The quality of Faverolles, personality, egg-laying capabilities, etc. will depend a lot on the lines. I had a really tough time with my first two hatches and then decided to go with hatching eggs from Rose Marie Isgrigg's lines. I knew that it would be next to impossible to get eggs directly from her, so I started seeking out people who kept pure Isgrigg breeding stock. My three little pullets that I mentioned above hatched from eggs I bought from mothergoose. My lap hen was from an eBay seller who also kept pure Isgrigg stock.

If you're interested in blue salmon Faverolles bantams, I've heard that Nikki Stetson of HatTrick breeds excellent birds. I think there are a number of other reputable breeders of this variety. For LF salmon Faverolles, there are people like Dick Boulanger, Mike Stapish and Gayle Pontious.

Heck, there are people right here that breed excellent Faverolles. I've seen photos of Jaynie's birds and they're wonderful. As for personality, it's something I always ask breeders before I purchase eggs. Laying ability is something that's not as important to me, but if it is for you, you can ask about that, too.

Oh, I did have a pair of beautiful BLRW bantams, but they didn't like to be handled at all. They were raised with a silkie chick and some bantam Fav chicks (all of these hatched together), and as the silkie and Favs became increasingly calm and friendly, the Dottes continued to be scared of people. I think LF Dottes are less nervous, though.

Hope you get yourself a flock of nice birds!

-Naomi

9. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Thanks, all![​IMG]

10. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We got our Faverolles from MM and the three we got are wonderful, They let us pick them up and are so calm. Ours are 7 wks old and are held maybe 2 times a week. We have two White Wyandottes too and they let us pick them up but they don't seem as calm. The other breeds we don't have.
    Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by