1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Favorelle Roo's Comb, Frostbitten, Now Has Blood On Hackle Feathers!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ladychicken&Ducklover, Dec 9, 2011.

1. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    I posted this message over on the Emergencies, Cures etc., Thread, but I feel more comfortable on THIS thread, so I wanted to get as much advice on what to do...[​IMG]:)

Truth is, I feel like I know people here, personally,and consider you all more like family. [​IMG]:

Anyway, below is my Post.

Hi friends,

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where it gets deadly cold , and last night our temps were -10 degrees F...[​IMG]

This morning, , I found his comb having black tips and now some blood on his hackle feathers !!

This is my first year having chickens and ducks and I have done ALOT of research [​IMG], and for A LONG time..[​IMG]

Now, my SF roo lives with his hen in an 8x8x6 insulated coop , ( I used R-13 JM insulation from Lowes ), that I Personally built myself by looking at other coops on BYC.

I couldnt even build a box in the beginning of the summer, but by the end, I built his/hers..[​IMG]

I have 2 inches of wood chips on the floor, they even have a dog crate inside the coop with straw inside for them to go inside and "cuddle" if they want.

I have the classic slanted roof and plenty of ventilation.

I also have part of the open roof, wrapped with 3 mil plastic., there are (2) 250 Watt heat lamps, which are red and they stay on ALL night too since ALL my chickens and ducks are used to going to bed with the red lamp.

Anyway, I have all my other birds, ducks, in another 12x20 coop with the same set up, and no other problems, and I even have a Polish Roo.

I wanted to give you all the background of my set up AND I need advice on what to do about his comb !!

Ive heard ...now.. that putting Vaseline on his comb to prevent frostbite..

What do I do about the damage already done???

I was thinking putting Antibiotic ointment on, now...

HELP...

I look forward to desperately needed advice.[​IMG],

2. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Hopefully someone with more experience with chickens in chilly weather will chime in. My winter temps are nowhere near yours but my first chickens had a rude intro to winter when the jet stream took a hard turn to the south a couple of Novembers ago. My top hen, a BO named Spike, had long thin points on her comb. 'Had' is the operative word, 2 weeks of 20 degree weather reshaped her comb. Since there was no sign of infection I did not use antibiotic. The dead tissue sloughed off on its own. Now that her comb is more compact she has not had a problem with freezing temps. Good luck with your roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by