1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Favorelle Rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherb00, May 2, 2017.

1. featherb00

featherb00 New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Friendship NY
    [​IMG]Hi All!!
    I'm brand new to owning chickens. I tried to do a lot of research and find a breed that would fit for me, my location, and my family. I recently ordered 3 Golden Laced Wyandotte hens, and 3 Salmon Favorelle hens. They are 5 weeks old now. As I said I am new to this so I could be very wrong, but I have a feeling that one of my favorelles is actually a rooster. "Her" attitude is so different. She braver than the other two, and not as afraid of me. As far as looks- she is much darker on her chest and wings, almost completely black. Her comb is more prominent than the others as well. I already tried to contact the company. They have a 100% guarantee on their site, currently just waiting on someone to get back to me. If I could just get the opinion of someone else maybe it would help. I don't really know how having a rooster will change my flock.

I'll attach a few photos. Please excuse the mess, the ladies had a little party in their coop the first day I put them in it.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. CookieChicken18

CookieChicken18 Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    If you google a Salmon Faverolles rooster, you can see they have a lot of black feathers were as the hens don't have any. I had a black Australorp who turned out to be a rooster and we noticed early on because of his prominent comb and waddles, whereas our Australorp hen's comb and wattles were hardly developed. I would say there may be a good chance that he is a rooster but I've never owned a Faverolles. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hopefully Keesmom will see this and comment. I don't know what Salmon Faveroles males look like as youngsters. But as adults they have much more/totally different color than the hens. They have a lot of black but not totally. See if you can find a photo of mature male in the breed thread.

4. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    For sure a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by