Favorite Barred or Cuckoo Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by YgritteChick, Jul 28, 2014.

1. YgritteChick

YgritteChick In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I've heard nice things about Cuckoo Marans, Dominiques, and Barred Plymouth Rocks and am curious how people who want a barred or cuckoo pattern choose between them? Any ideas on great qualities...or some not so great ones...that each breed has?

2. N F C

N F C whaz sup?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Of the 3 you ask about, we have the BR. Our choice was primarily based on the hatchery charge.,, the CM's and Dom's were over $5 each while the BR's were about $3. Also, we had BR's in the past and just loved their personality, ours have been very sweet birds.

3. YgritteChick

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thank you very much for your input!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I slightly prefer the Cuckoo Marans, because of the beautiful chocolate eggs they lay, but it's close between them and the Barred Rocks. The Dominiques are my least favorite of the three as they are slightly flightier than the other two and don't lay quite as well.

5. YgritteChick

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Do Cuckoo Marans often lay really dark eggs? I have heard differing things on that, that if you want the really dark eggs you are safer to go with the Black Copper Marans over the Cuckoo Marans. Is it maybe depending on how true to the breed standard they are?

6. N F C

N F C whaz sup?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I would say the shade can vary from bird to bird. For example, I have 2 RIR's which lay brown eggs but one of them has darker eggs than the other (and these are sister birds).

7. N F C

N F C whaz sup?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It seems to depend on the individual strains of the Marans as to how dark brown the eggs will be. BCMs often have eggs that are a little darker than CMs, however I ordered some Cuckoo Marans from Murray McMurray once that laid some very dark brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: