Favorite bedding for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moselle, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Sorry if this has been asked 5000 times. What is your favorite bedding for chicks? I worry about them trying to eat shavings, and want something that I can change easily. What about old towels or a cut up old blanket? I'll only have 6, so they'll need bedding for only a small area.

2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    i dont see why ya couldnt use the towels or blanket but keep it clean. alot of people use paper towels. i use pine shavings on top of newspapper. im sure others will add to the list. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I used paper towels only for the first 5 or 6 days... after that wood shavings... and I added a roost around the same time so they got the hang of sleeping up on that!

4. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    I use newspaper with a single layer of paper towels on top for traction.

5. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    I tried the newspaper and paper towel ontop. Is it me or do I feed my chicks too much? They are pooping all over the joint. I stuck them in a dog kennel that I have some hardware cloth over the tray. Poop every where. It's around 42 tonight, so much should I feed them? Also, dunno about the temp, but they like to regulate themselves, either sit right next to the lamp or sit away in a bunch just nodding off. I was thinking of lining the hardware cloth with pine needles. Is that okay or will the chicks start shoving them down their gullets?

I got them from a lady who claims 3 wk old. They are about 6 inches tall and rising. BRs, BOs, and RIRs. How do you tell age if they don't carry personal identification?

On a wing and prayer here.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:They'll start to look close to completely feathered at 6-7 weeks.
    At three weeks you should still have fluff balls with a few wing feathers and tails....

I just keep the feeder full 24/7 - they do poop alot - I had to change my paper towels a couple of times a day - sometimes just adding towels ontop when I didn't have time.

DO you have pic's of your chicks?

7. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Pics of the chicks...ahhhh...ya know...that's a very good question. And my answer is...COMING SOON. If you seen my recent posts, it was a madhouse. I wanted only 6 chicks, the nice lady who sold them to me have me 8 chicks and an older Silkie and a Silkie Frizzle mutt. So I've been scrambling...so to speak.:eek:

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I dont' have silkies - so I'm not sure what they would look like at 3 weeks..... pretty darn small I would think! [​IMG]

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    pine shavings several inches thick on the bottom, then paper towels on top for the first few days.

And leave food and water avail 24x7. They eat...all the time....a lot.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by