Favorite breed for mini farm/ homestead?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jamband, Jul 26, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    From a homestead/ sustainability view...
    Just wondering what everyone likes to raise? I like "pure breeds" because it give me the ability to not have to rely on outside inputs for my birds and close the circle a little more. I have some black australorps right now and they are ok. I am thinking about getting a different breed this fall though. Just looking for opinions of any sort.

General desires are good foragers, broody enough to reproduce, good dual purpose breed, cold hardy, not people agressive since i have 2 kids.

I have always liked barred rocks, RIR except i hear the boys are mean sometimes. A few others have recommended buckeyes, dominiques, delewares.

Just curious what you all like and keep.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Breeder quality Barred Rocks fit the bill. Mine go broody and are the greatest foragers I have. Beautiful dual purpose birds and are ever so gentle, as well.

3. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    My vote would be go to Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, or Wyandotte. SS are great foragers and super friendly.

4. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks you all

Kathy I really like the BR as well and I am lucky enough to have access to many high quality heritage breeds. So the Cockerels are not aggressive?

Mr Heinz do you raise the sussex for meat as well? Just curious how well they grow.

Thanks

5. JaxBirchmuck

JaxBirchmuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    North Carolina
    Our Barred Rocks get testy I would suggest Buff Orp., much mellower and easier to dress with the light feathers.

6. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I also suggest buff orpingtons. [​IMG] They're frequent broodies, good layers, forage well, have sweet personalities, nice meat birds, and are pretty. I also suggest dominiques, EEs, and RIRs. [​IMG]

7. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Something to think about if you want birds to forage are breeds that aren't the easiest pickings for predators. As a general rule, the really docile and light colored birds are easy targets.

8. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I suggest partridge rocks. [​IMG] If you like barred rocks you will like these too! They are gorgeous, good egg layers, occasionally go broody, and people friendly, not to mention hardy and great foragers.

9. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
  10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Not at all aggressive. They are very very mellow. My grandchildren can be around the males with no fear at all. I emphasize "breeder" quality Barred Rocks, as I have heard that many hatchery quality are aggressive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by