Favorite breed of chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by safarichick101, Dec 20, 2009.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    It doesn't have to be your favorite chicken just your favorite breed so you won't hurt any feathered feelings. Just post your favorites and reasons why I guess.

I'll start.

Mine would be an orpington because my Ginger has so much personality and well.. us gingers just get eachother. [​IMG]

Faverolles Silkies and Brahmas are close after.

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    My Seramas, They are so nice and spunky [​IMG]

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I [​IMG] Sussex. Such a wonderful duel purpose breed [​IMG]

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I like the Barred Rocks becaus they lay HUMONGUS eggs and are fat as mud. They also have a good coloring and are a dual prupose breed.

5. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    I love them too. They always have the prettiest feathers and they are just so solid and robust. I love the noises they make.

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    There was another post about this, but I don't mind answering again! [​IMG]

I only just got into them recently, but Seramas are definitely my favorite breed. I love their tiny size, sweet personalities, and huge variety of colors! They're a wonderful breed.

My second favorite breed is Old English Game Bantams. They're so spunky, cute, curious, and vivacious, it's impossible not to love them!

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    My Houdan with my Polish running a close second. I simply love how the crested breeds look but the Houdan win because they also are good layers.

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I have SLW, GLW and a Barred Rock. I think my fav is the barred rock but I like her because she seems to seek me out!

For looking at chickens I think the polish are interesting and I saw the most interesting little bantam it had dark brown feathers and feathers on her feet but the feathers were kind of barred looking like a hawk and she was just a week old or so. The guy at the swap meet had no clue what kind of chicken she was and I almost bought her but I have no room at the inn for anymore chickens for a while so I was good and walked away.

Caroline

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:I second that! Seramas are great!

10. redhawkou812

redhawkou812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Joelton, TN
    Our favorite is Ms. Easter, our easter egger. She is very sweet, and a lot goofy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by