Favorite breed of Quail !!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by polskituft, Oct 20, 2012.

1. polskituft

polskituft Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    Whats your Favorite breed of quail, tell us about it here!!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  2. adem58

adem58 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    Mines the bobwhite, even though here in Australia we only got one type of the bobwhite quail.

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I like the white Japanese Quail as they look nice and lay lots of eggs. Sadly I can not get them in my country as we only have the natural coloured ones.

I also like the Chinese Painted (button) quails and I have some white ones of them. But they are not as mellow and friendly as the Japanese ones - also they are bad for fighting and feather plucking if you try to keep a group together.

4. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    I like the Chinese Painted Quail. They're so full of character and i love their colors and the calls they make.
    They're not as tame as other species and their eggs are a lot smaller, but they're easy to keep indoors and they're fun to watch. They're like the fancy mice or the colorful guppies of the poultry world.

1 person likes this.
  5. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    My favorite that Ive ever owned are my near-impossible-to-find Mountain Quail. The ones I like the appearance of the most are the Mearns Quail, in which I hope to recieve some in the next month but we will see what happens. Here's a recent picture I really like of my curious MQ's.
    [​IMG]

6. sandmbaker

sandmbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    Illinois
    I just hatched my first ever quail today. Out of 12the eggs I got six babies. I can't wait to see what breeds they r. The eggs were a mix of Texas am pharaoh tuxedo and fawn. I'm very excited!

7. polskituft

polskituft Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    congratulations on your new quail.

8. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    My favorite species is also Mountain quail. Based on my looking around, I think Mearns quail are the near-impossible-to-find than Mountain quail.

9. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    I definately agree about the Mearns being MUCH harder to find. It took me 2 months to locate the mountain quails, and I've been searching since about May for the Mearns and MIGHT have just found some for sale, no guarantees though. There's a really good yahoo group called "Neo-trop Quails" where's there's quite a few Mearns breeders.

10. sandmbaker

sandmbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    Illinois
    hey all. my little babies r not all doing so well only 1 is up and about the other 4 r very weak. iv given them electrolytes and sugar water and still weak any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by