Favorite breed of Quail !!!!

adem58

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
Mines the bobwhite, even though here in Australia we only got one type of the bobwhite quail.

jak2002003

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I like the white Japanese Quail as they look nice and lay lots of eggs. Sadly I can not get them in my country as we only have the natural coloured ones.

I also like the Chinese Painted (button) quails and I have some white ones of them. But they are not as mellow and friendly as the Japanese ones - also they are bad for fighting and feather plucking if you try to keep a group together.

gorabbitgo

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 9, 2012
I like the Chinese Painted Quail. They're so full of character and i love their colors and the calls they make.
They're not as tame as other species and their eggs are a lot smaller, but they're easy to keep indoors and they're fun to watch. They're like the fancy mice or the colorful guppies of the poultry world.

drowe005

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Corapeake NC
My favorite that Ive ever owned are my near-impossible-to-find Mountain Quail. The ones I like the appearance of the most are the Mearns Quail, in which I hope to recieve some in the next month but we will see what happens. Here's a recent picture I really like of my curious MQ's.

sandmbaker

Songster
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Illinois
I just hatched my first ever quail today. Out of 12the eggs I got six babies. I can't wait to see what breeds they r. The eggs were a mix of Texas am pharaoh tuxedo and fawn. I'm very excited!

Ntsees

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2012
My favorite that Ive ever owned are my near-impossible-to-find Mountain Quail. The ones I like the appearance of the most are the Mearns Quail, in which I hope to recieve some in the next month but we will see what happens. Here's a recent picture I really like of my curious MQ's.
My favorite species is also Mountain quail. Based on my looking around, I think Mearns quail are the near-impossible-to-find than Mountain quail.

drowe005

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Corapeake NC
I definately agree about the Mearns being MUCH harder to find. It took me 2 months to locate the mountain quails, and I've been searching since about May for the Mearns and MIGHT have just found some for sale, no guarantees though. There's a really good yahoo group called "Neo-trop Quails" where's there's quite a few Mearns breeders.

sandmbaker

Songster
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Illinois
hey all. my little babies r not all doing so well only 1 is up and about the other 4 r very weak. iv given them electrolytes and sugar water and still weak any suggestions?

Top Bottom