favorite breed? pic please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by XxB0rd3rsxX10, Aug 8, 2011.

1. XxB0rd3rsxX10

XxB0rd3rsxX10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    im thinking about geting more chickens but i dont know which breed to get.i want a very nice bird who will not fight will my other birds. so to give me an idea, whats your favorite breed of chicken and why? if you can i would like to have a pic of them so i know what it looks like. so lets see everyone favorite bird!! [​IMG]

thanks [​IMG]

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    [​IMG]

My BO is my favorite bird. But she's SO DOCILE, that the others do pick on her a bit. Usually just over special treats like meal worms. So factor that in if you want her to hold her own around others. I only have three so I have the time to give her extra attention. I'll let her out of the run and she'll follow me around. I hand feed her treats and worms so she knows she's special. She'll hop up in my lap and nibble at my hair and t'shirt. She makes the sweetest little sounds. I just love her to pieces.

But I have to also say that her sister, the JG next to her in the photo is a hoot. Super curious. Doesn't like being held much but will let me pick her up and talk to her for a minute before getting squirmy. She's fun cuz she'll always come running if you call her name. She hopes you'll have food for her. And she can hold her own around others. She's a BIG chicken. No one messes w/ her.

3. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    My favorite used to be the EE, but I am, quickly falling in love with the Brabanter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My favorites, because of the mellowness, are my Red Shouldered Yokohamas,
    [​IMG]

And my almost TOO MELLOW, Salmon Faverolles
    [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Polish. Though many others follow very closely behind, not much compares to Polish. I don't know about others', I hear a lot of stories, but my Polish are all the sweetest, hardiest, and most beautiful of the birds I've had. They're also very prolific layers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. XxB0rd3rsxX10

XxB0rd3rsxX10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    i really like the red shouldered yokohamas, love the tail [​IMG]

7. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Wow, that first photo, what a beautiful bird. I'm guessing a male with that comb but I'm not familiar w/ Polish so I'm just guessing. But the color pattern is striking.

8. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    You know, my favorites are the Old English Game Bantams. I had always heard, "Don't ever put multiple OEGB roosters in the same pen! They'll fight constantly, etc!" I've got 4 OEGB roosters in the same pen with young birds and hens and my 2 Giant cochins. They're even in limited space until the rest of our pens get built next week.

And they don't fight.

Sure a few chest bumps and crowing competitions but that's it. Nobody is fighting to the death or completely terrorizing the young ones. The hens aren't getting sexually abused. lol.

And they come in soooo many different colors! It's practically endless. And they're personalities are absolutely hysterical! I've got a wheaton rooster that is a little younger than the others and he is constantly trying to strut his stuff. He'll walk up to one of the older roosters, or even my Giant Cochin rooster, wings held out and head up high, clucking at them. They just give him one of those looks like they're sayin, "Ya right!" and he turns and runs! It's too funny. And the hens are soooo sweet. My BB Red hen, Prissy, loves to cuddle up in my lap and fall asleep. My neighbor's brassy back hen, Sassy, hates other chickens but will come running to see Melody. She sits on her shoulder or arm and just stays there.

It's kinda hard to see his color in this light but this is my oldest rooster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is Prissy.
    [​IMG]

My silver duckwing rooster:
    [​IMG]

9. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Buckeyes.
    Great breed. Hardy, vigorous, friendly, good layers, nice meat birds, ect.
    Mitch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    My favorite breed by far is the Bantam Ameraucana. I have White, Lavender, Black, Silver, and Brown Reds. They are too cute PLUS they are pretty laid back. Most of my roosters (except the new one) let my sister man handle them on a daily basis. They also go broody occassionally. They are easy showers, and very unique looking birds.

[​IMG]
    One of my blacks
    [​IMG]
    one of my white grow outs
    [​IMG]
    my brown red cockerel
    [​IMG]
    Lavender cock bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by