Favorite breed?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by butch, Nov 23, 2009.

1. butch

butch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Van Wert
    What is you're favorite breed of chicken that you have ever raised?

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Black Sex-Links but our Delawares come in a close second

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Why do you have to make me choose????!!!!
    I cannot choose because I love them all. [​IMG]

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Oh Dear,
    I'm afraid that is impossible to answer. If they are very good layers, they stink with temperment and if they are broody, they aren't good with producing and if they are very, very meaty.....they might drop dead from heat or heart attack ( ??? ), if you don't slaughter fast enough. I guess if I had only one chicken to choose from and that was all I could have, I would get a good dual purpose breed so I could have a lot of eggs and a fairly big carcass and hopefully with enough hens at least one of them would brood for me once a year. I think that is what my husband was planning with the RIRs, before I sweet talked him into the Araucanas.
    My choice would be.....no choice. I would get either the brown egg layers special or the rainbow layers special. Then you can have the best of everything. They are all good......its just, good for what??? That is the question. I guess it depends on if you want a pet, some eggs or some meat, a mom or all of the above.

5. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Red Sexlinks, no... Welsummers.... Well it is one of the two. The Red Sexlinks are the friendliest and best layers. The Welsummers are pretty and lay really pretty eggs. There are other pretty birds like Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Blue Splash <insert nearly any breed here> as well.

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Well I would have to say the breeds I have are my favorites Ameraucana and Salmon Faverolles I also love Wellsummers its really hard to choose.

Henry

7. ChickenEllis

ChickenEllis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    It's a toss up.

My EE's are very sweet and quiet.

My BR's are overflowing with personality but are very loud.

I also have RIR's and SLW's which i love only slightly less.

8. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I don't have a favorite. I've had 20+ breeds and I keep trying new ones and changing my mind about favorites.
    Hmmm....
    Silkies are just so sociable and easy to take care of.
    Mille Fleur d'Uccles are pretty and have a great temperment.
    I recently got some standard Salmon Faverolles. I'll be getting some more of them! They are my favorite of the standard breeds... for now. [​IMG]

9. lady and her girls

lady and her girls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    ohio
    My favorite was my redsex link hand raised each handled daily, sweet quite disposition. they started laying this fall and kept laying through the typical roller coaster temp changes of Ohio. only a few days that I didn't get eggs.. I had a mix and they stood out. after we move I plan on getting more and sussex. I ve only had one and she was sweet. I had an aracona name dolly hand raised her to and she had the prettist sky blue eggs.

all depend on what you want to do. each breed (check out BYC breeds list) has it own dispostion. do you have a large place or small. coop, cages or chicken tractor or free range with shelter? Brown, white eggs or don't care. quite or noisy, selling the eggs or just watching them run around? for meat though I would choose a dual perpose breed like buff Or's, doms or a cross breed. they take longer but don't eat you out of house and home, and they don't have the leg problem like the meat chicken do.
    Like I said check out the BYC breed list and you may find one that will fit your needs perfectly. But you might be like the rest of us and have a mix of breeds. any who I wish only the best and happy bird day.

10. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    I love my JAVAS.They are my favorite. They are a great dual purpose breed, and fun to watch. I also love my EE's and my Duccles, which both have sweet dispositions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by