Favorite breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiffanya, Sep 30, 2010.

1. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I was just curious as to what every one's favorite breed is and why? I just got my first chicks this past spring and favorites are definitely emerging.

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    my favorite breed with be a barred rock.they just seem to be friendlier.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ameraucanas. And I mean real ones, not the "Ameraucanas" you get from hatcheries that are actually mutts.

Of the ooh 13 different breeds I've had experience with, they're the least likely to be aggressive, skittish, or weak. They're also quite beautiful birds, lay beautiful blue eggs, and quite fun to work with (breed, show, etc) and the cock(erel)s are my favorite reason why - Never had a mean one, towards either hens or people, and they always try the absolute hardest to charm someone, hen or person. And their personalities can be hilarious. I've got quite the "Drama Queen" cockerels right now, who have some seriously girly cries/screeches when they're upset or frightened by something. Oh and they're not as "dumb" as a lot of other breeds, especially in males.

And who can't love a gorgeously green sheening cockerel like this guy? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Buckeyes!!!!!!!!!!

5. lazyoranch

lazyoranch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    Speckled Sussex, Bantam Cochins & Old English. I couldn't decide between the three for my favorite!

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Silkies for personality, Silver Phoenix for Beauty, and EE for just all around awesomeness. of these, i only own the silkies.

7. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I will say that my Sussex have become my favorite. They are by far the friendliest of my chickens, one if which in particular. They also seem to be the hardiest so far. They are better foragers than my others and don't seem to mind poor weather conditions. (When it rains the Sussex usually stay outside with my ducks no matter how hard it is coming down.)

8. [​IMG] California Whites [​IMG]
    Friendly, beautiful, the best eggers (better than WL's) and great free rangers!!!

9. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Faverolles! Second would be Sussex.

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    "Real" Bantam Ameraucanas are my favorite...I don't care for the large fowl version. I also like my d'uccles they are nice too. I have always wanted some Faverolles too but haven't yet just really going to stick with my Ameraucanas and the few d'uccles I have. [​IMG] I hope to have some new varieties of Ameraucana after the National Meet (White and Buff) [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by