Favorite breeds thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sevenbabychicks, Oct 2, 2010.

1. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hey all,

I'm curious about the reasons people choose certain breeds. Which are your favorites and why? [​IMG]

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    honestly i just chose buckeyes because they were the cheapest eggs to bid on but with how good they are I would pay $50 or more for hatching eggs
    Here is what I like about them:
    Dual purpose
    good meat
    good layers
    great color
    heritage breed
    rare breed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] my new roo
    [​IMG] punky
    [​IMG] the girls

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    It is Large Fowl Araucana all the way baby with me. I love their funny little rumpless behinds, their blue eggs. I love the duckwing color on a rumpless bird. I love, love their tufts. They are very broody which is great if you want to raise chicks ( which I do). They get 4lbs so they are decent eating size and can be considered dual purpose.

My bbr pullet

[​IMG]

My duckwing pullet

[​IMG]

My splash hen

[​IMG]

My duckwing roo

[​IMG]

Just to show a few. They are awesome birds and they have this soft little trilling voice and they love to sing when they find bugs.

Lanae

4. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Black Australorps! I love my little Aussies even though they took longer to start laying then my sex-links they are hardier, more calm and while not super friendly, they are shy not mean, even my rooster is well behaved. While I haven't had to butcher any they are bigger and meatier then even my RIR. They also seem to cohabit better then my other chickens I have not once caught any of them pecking at each other or even the little sex-link that is picked on by everyone else. Their eggs so far seem better shaped and have less spots (more like commercial eggs) even when my RIR and sex-links first started laying their eggs where spotty. Plus from what I have read they supposedly lay at about the same rate as sex-links about 300 a year, mine just started laying so I can't say if that's true or not yet. I also LOVE how they look when the sun shines off their feather! They are stunning!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  5. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    This is great, guys! Thanks for all the pictures; your birds are beautiful!

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:thanks. now whats your favorite?
    [​IMG] punky

7. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Quote:thanks. now whats your favorite?
    [​IMG] punky

You know, I've always had a soft spot for red stars. While they may not be the prettiest of hens, they always seem to be the sweetest, most inquisitive, and enjoy the company of people the most. And they lay so many eggs! Unfortunately, they were all sold out at MPC when I ordered my bunch. [​IMG] Of my chicks, I'd have to say that my black giant and (supposed) columbian wyandotte are my faves. They're so docile. Oh, and my salmon faverolle because she's just so pretty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG] very nice! [​IMG]

9. Riverdale

Riverdale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Riverdale, MI
    Our 'favorite' one is a Barred Rock named 'Zebra'