Favorite breeds? Why?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by farm-gal91, Jan 6, 2013.

1. farm-gal91

farm-gal91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2012
    What are some of your favorite breeds and why? I have now gathered what hatcheries to buy from now I want to see what the popular breeds are and why they are your favorites. Currently I have RIR, Easter Eggers, seabrights (my favorite) and 2 other "mutts".

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Leghorns of any and all varieties are my favorites. they are prolific producers of large white eggs with a great egg/feed conversion, and they are the most beautiful chickens that man has created.

3. mrhill

mrhill Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    How big do they get? I am just getting started and I am leaning toward these.

4. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    To me silkies are my favorite followed by buff orpingtons, barred rocks, and EE. Right now I have 11 chickens. 4 silkies(1 roo and 3 hens), a barred rock, buff Orpington, Easter egger, 2 RIR's, a houdan, and a Red Cross. I don't know how we'll silkies lay or crow because mine are only 17 weeks old.

5. farm-gal91

farm-gal91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2012
    Interesting! Thanks for the input, keep it coming! I will look into the leghorns and other breeds to. I am wanting a variety of eggs, more of a variety than I have right now.,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by