Favorite Breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FutureFarmGal, Feb 27, 2016.

1. FutureFarmGal

FutureFarmGal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    We're getting chicks! What is your favorite breed(s) of chicken? I am wanting a silkie and an ameraucana for sure. Which breeds are the friendliest?

2. goosiesnougs

goosiesnougs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    New England
    I LOVE my silkies! Favorite by far!

3. linbee

linbee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I want silkies - it is on my list for next year! I have ameraucanas, and they are very friendly. I think the friendliest that I've ever had was my buff orpington and New Hampshire Reds. The orpington was too broody for our South Texas heat, but she was such a joy - she required that I carry her around the run anytime I came in to feed.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I LOVE my Silkies and Sizzles, by far my favorites (shh, don't tell my other breeds). I've also got Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers and black Copper Marans, they're pretty awesome too :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

I love Silkies!Great friendly breed♡♡♡ this year I'm getting 7 Barred Rocks females they are supposed to be a docil breed, thats important with Silkies who are docile as well. The Barred Rock is a great layer of large brown eggs and they are smart.

6. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Our Silkies and EE and Ameraucana looking Olive Egger are the friendliest. Crested Cream Legbar are a bit flighty by comparison. Delaware is confident enough to approach us but it seems like confidence not friendliness.

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    I LOVE silkies, they are so friendly and docile! I also have black sex links, light brahmas, easter eggers, barred rock, rhode island red, and a serama [​IMG]I also want some polish and orpingtons [​IMG]

8. FutureFarmGal

FutureFarmGal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Thanks guys!

9. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I have very limited experience, but so far my Dominiques are the most outgoing, curious, and friendly of all my chicks.
    For comparison, I also have Buff Orpingtons, New Hampshire Reds, Golden Buffs, White Plymouth Rocks, and one lonely Barred Rock.

10. firecop77

firecop77 New Egg

Feb 25, 2016
    Apache Junction AZ
    Rhode Island Reds here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by