Favorite bush bean for the south?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by KenK, Jul 23, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I've usually had good luck with Blue Lake 274. They only did fair this year, probably no fault of the variety.

I'm thinking about trying something else for the fall planting.
    I've got enough canned to see us through so if they don't make it won't be a catastrophe.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I've never had any luck with bush beans. I stick with my old heritage purple beans and Kentucky Wonder pole beans. I might have to try those Blue Lake 274 though if they have done well for you in the past? How is your yeild most years?

Bush beans would sure be a lot less work!

3. We use Derby bush beans and Kentucky Wonder Pole...have used Contender and Top Crop in the past and both have performed well. Most summers its hot, humid and dry here......good luck!!! By far our favorite bush is Derby; it just keeps puttin on until frost if there is enough rain.

4. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I don't really know how to quantify the yield on the Blue Lake beans other than to say "pretty good". What I like about them is that you can pick a mess or two off them as soon as the ambitious ones are ready and then when they come on good you can pick them, can them and be done with it. I usually plant a row early then another row a few weeks later and then another row to come in before it frosts.

I planted pole beans for years, like my daddy did, and finally just got tired of fooling with them. The best pole bean I ever grew was Kentucky Blue, a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake. Had some problems with germination of seeds from Burpee and gave up on them. Have about given up on Burpee period.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Until it comes to picking them. I picked a couple gallon bucket fulls this morning and picking beans down underneath those plants was back breaking. I ended up sitting in the dirt shuffling my butt down the rows.

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Quote:Until it comes to picking them. I picked a couple gallon bucket fulls this morning and picking beans down underneath those plants was back breaking. I ended up sitting in the dirt shuffling my butt down the rows.

[​IMG]

We are picking around 5 five gallon cans every other day right now off our two rows of pole beans. Seems I spend half the darn summer with a dish pan in my lap breaking beans or shelling peas. [​IMG]

Picked our first five cantalopes this morning though, so treat time tonight!

7. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I'm going to try those Derby beans. Looked them up and saw they are an AAS (All American Selection) winner, I've had real good luck with those.

8. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Where is a source for Derby beans...haven't seen it in my catalogues.

9. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
  10. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I grow red orr pole asparagus beans. They are long red beans that are good to use like a green bean or in stir fry. No bending over to pick them and they are abundant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by