Favorite Chicken Breed

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenzGurl, Aug 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Leghorn

15.4%
  2. Star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Polish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Americauna

7.7%
  5. Brahma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Buff Orpington

23.1%
  7. Plymouth Rock

38.5%
  8. Silky

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bantam

46.2%
  10. Other

30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChickenzGurl

ChickenzGurl Chirping

Aug 12, 2018
    There are so many chicken breeds throughout the world. I want to know what your favorite one is. Tell me why, and some experiences that you have had with those chickens . I obviously couldn’t put all the chickens down, but I did as many as I could.

2. ChickenzGurl

ChickenzGurl Chirping

Aug 12, 2018
    I know that a lot of people will choose “other” because I only did a few, but I hope that some people will have there favorites listed

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Free Ranging

When discussing large fowl breeds, my favorites are, hands down:

Welsummer - HUGE, stunning eggs, that vary from bird to bird. Some lay Marans-level darkness, while others produce terra cotta, or even light brown with dark splotches (akin to quail eggs). Not to mention personality...mine are obnoxiously friendly.

Marans - Who can argue with all the lovely colors they come in? And chocolate eggs, to boot? Perfection. Disposition-wise, some of the very best birds in my flock. Their natures run the gamut from hyper to calm/gentle. Can't meander anywhere without these ladies wanting attention.

Speckled Sussex - PERSONALITY! I find this single word to be the best breed description. My Mairead was a character and a half, someone (yes, she was a person ;)) who had no qualms about biting my lip if I stooped to her level, and came running when called by name. One can imagine how devastated I was when a hawk took her last year. A up-and-coming SS has been appointed to fill Mairead's position since. :) Never has a more active, affection, curious bird graced this earth than little Rusty. Can't wait to share a similar bond with her.

Barred Rock - Biters, albeit the sweetest, most lovable chooks you'll ever meet. I simply can't list enough good about them to do this breed justice. Not only are they hardy, sturdy, tough birds, as well as proficient layers, but they're personable beyond your wildest dreams. :) Perfect for children, too!

As for bantams:

d'Uccles - What's not to like? ;) I find them perfect in every possible way.

Old English Game bantams - Same reasons as d'Uccles, just a little less consistently friendly. :D

~Alex

4. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    It's so hard to pick ONE favorite!!! I have favorites for different reasons :oops:. As a total package (personality, egglaying, and beauty) I love my Black Australorps. Out of your list I would pick bantams, I have a real soft spot for them. Any particular breed of bantam you have in mind?

5. ChickenzGurl

ChickenzGurl Chirping

Aug 12, 2018
    Yes! They are so small, and mine has a feisty personality. Definitely 2nd place for me. 1st is Buff Orpington. My Buff Orpingtons are the sweetest little things.

6. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Gone away, will be back next month

Jun 1, 2018
    Out North
    My Coop
    Favorite Large Fowl:

Light Sussex - Large, friendly birds with a great attitude. The roosters are grand and they are easy to maintenance for exhibition

Plymouth Rocks - All around great birds. They are heavy, friendly, trusting, and most of the varieties they come in are striking in the show ring. They mature fast and are great layers.

ALL BANTAMS ARE MY FAVORITE!!!

7. ChickenzGurl

ChickenzGurl Chirping

Aug 12, 2018
    Yesss! Bantams and Orpingtons:love

8. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Gone away, will be back next month

Jun 1, 2018
    Out North
    My Coop
    I forgot Orpingtons! :bow

A friend of mine raises them :love
    IMG_20180722_120652.jpg

9. jolenesdad

jolenesdad Songster

Apr 12, 2015
    Montgomery, TX
    @Alexandra33 you took the words RIGHT out of my mouth. I just got a speckled Sussex yesterday but the rest are all my favorites. I’ve got a huge soft spot for my welsummer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: