Favorite Chicken Breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AtRendeAcres, Oct 22, 2008.

1. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have been reading what breeds people don't like!

What is your favorite Breed of Chicken?
    Why is it your favorite Breed?
    How often does she lay?
    & how big are her eggs?

Brahma
    Personality of hens & roos (great with kids)
    5 days out of 7
    large by the time they are 2

My Bantam lays a nice size eggs & more than RIR bantams when I had them!

Joanne

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    This is hard. It is like choosing your favorite child.

I guess mine would be my Bantam Araucana. I just love thier active personality and their spirit. Mine lay really well and are friendly but do not like to be held, and the fact that they are STUNNING does not hurt my feelings towards them.

Close seconds would be my Orpingtons, Sussex and RIR's.

3. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I would have to say RIR.
    They always had this"attitude" about them...the first male I had taught me how to swing a bat...HARD. The last male I trained to hop up on a log and walk onto my lap...and just sit there getting pet. I loved him...miss him dearly.

Excellent egg-layers. Mine were elderly...so I only got 5 out of 7 days.

4. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I love Americanas. They are so sweet and very easy to tame. I have one that follows me around every where and she wants to be carried by my daughter. Her name is goldie ( she is black with gold tiped feathers) and is beautiful. I get Meduim size eggs 5 to 6 days of the week. I have 4 hens and I get 2 green and 2 pink eggs.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I love my fluff butt lap dog chickens. My silkies are such babies, and have such personalities. They lay well, almost an egg a day when they get over their broodiness. That in itself is a great trait to me too.

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:We have 7 Americanas, 4 Jersey Giants, 3 Leghorns (1 white & 2 brown), 3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Barred Rocks, 2 Brahmas, 2 Delawares, 2 Barnevelders, New Hampshire, RIR, sex links for a total of 32. So I would pick the Americanas.

7. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    Favorite Breed: O-Shamo
    Why?: Very intelligent almost seems like they understand what you say to them, very calm not the least bit flightly, friendly and will walk around the yard on your heels just like a good dog, nice deep crow, impressive looks too can't beat a chicken that's almost as tall as your 4 year old... [​IMG] They don't lay a lot and the eggs are surprizingly small, maybe medium sized, for such a big bird

[​IMG]
    Hen

[​IMG]
    Rooster

[​IMG]
    Shamo Pullet, she actually jumps onto your arm if you give her the chance... a small problem once she reaches the 9-10lb range

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    WOW! Shamo never heard of them!!

Quite elegant!

9. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Originally developed as a fighting fowl, they would be very impressive, are they from a fairly pure blood line? What type do you raise and how many?

10. frizzlemom

frizzlemom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hi, I'm new to the forum, I have Frizzle chickens and the are my favorite chickens. They are unique and unusual, make good pets and look a little freaky!

Nice to meet everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by