We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Favorite chicken is having issues!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jaxonann, Jul 23, 2019.

1. jaxonann

jaxonann Chirping

Jul 7, 2019
    Dallas, TX
    272B6B54-B248-4CAD-8536-EDDECD02773A.jpeg
    29B13A2D-E54B-49F3-AB46-B980DE5B1DEB.jpeg She’s soaking right now. What else need to be done?

Texas Kiki and HuffleClaw like this.
  2. jaxonann

jaxonann Chirping

Jul 7, 2019
    Dallas, TX
    Texas Kiki and HuffleClaw like this.
  3. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama (Southern USA)
    @Eggcessive maybe?

To me it looks like a soft shelled egg. But I’m definitely not an expert. Good luck with your hen!

Wyorp Rock, Texas Kiki and jaxonann like this.
  4. jaxonann

jaxonann Chirping

Jul 7, 2019
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks! She’s my broody girl.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Did You get everything out?

I would offer some extra calcium for now.

Has she been sitting on eggs for a while? Not eating well?

jaxonann and Wyorp Rock like this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She is broody?
    It looks like a soft shell egg. You mention there was egg in the nesting box? Do you see any egg (yolk/white) discharge leaking from her vent?

I would get her cleaned up. See that she drinks and eats. I would also direct dose her with poultry vitamins and get some extra calcium into her. While you are doing that, examine her for lice and mites too.
    How long has she been broody?

Texas Kiki likes this.
  7. jaxonann

jaxonann Chirping

Jul 7, 2019
    Dallas, TX
    Everything seems good. She's been sitting on wooden eggs for a month - halfway "tending" to them, that's when I realized I wasn't getting eggs from her. It was only really noticeable when I lost half my flock. I set my eggs last Thursday and gave her two to sit on as well. She really took to them Saturday. She still gets out and kicks around in the yard and eats with the other girls when another hen is using the nesting box. I have six boxes but they will only lay in the same one. :he

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She's been sitting for a month and you just now gave her eggs to sit on?
    If she is broody, then she really should not even be laying eggs or making an attempt to lay eggs. I'm wondering if she is not well instead of being broody. Usually a broody will not leave the nest except one time a day to eat, poop and take a quick dust bath.

Any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen?

Kathy Golla and Texas Kiki like this.
  9. jaxonann

jaxonann Chirping

Jul 7, 2019
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks!
    Her vent looks clean. She got a nice soak and inspection/blow dry before she went back outside and I saw no bugs. I will be dosing her up on the vitamins and minerals. My best guess on the broody behavior is 4-5 weeks? She's my only darker green layer now so it's easier to determine who lays which egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: