Favorite Chicken Suddenly Attacking Me!

Leihamarie

Songster
Jul 28, 2016
San Diego
Why is this happening?!? The baby of my flock, who has just come into lay about a month ago has started attacking me and drawing blood. She's always been a mama's girl and hand raised since a day old. Lately, she's been sneaking up on me and pecking me mercilessly, to the point of drawing blood. If I give her a swift "peck" to the back of the neck with my index finger, it enrages her and she flies at me hackles raised. If I pick her up, she calms down but when I put her down again, she comes after me with gusto. If I stand up quickly and loom over her her she runs away temporarily. I don't ever run from her. I HAVE been spending less time with the flock lately but I do interact with them multiple times per day, even if it's only in 5-10 minute intervals. They have plenty of room, so it's not an overcrowding issue, multiple food & water dishes so everyone can eat when they want to and spend the day roaming the yard. She's only aggressive toward me, not the other chickens.

She's my favorite chicken and I DON'T want to rehome her or cull her but I also can't keep getting attacked like this. What gives, and what do I do about it?!?

Why is this happening?!? The baby of my flock, who has just come into lay about a month ago has started attacking me and drawing blood. She's always been a mama's girl and hand raised since a day old. Lately, she's been sneaking up on me and pecking me mercilessly, to the point of drawing blood. If I give her a swift "peck" to the back of the neck with my index finger, it enrages her and she flies at me hackles raised. If I pick her up, she calms down but when I put her down again, she comes after me with gusto. If I stand up quickly and loom over her her she runs away temporarily. I don't ever run from her. I HAVE been spending less time with the flock lately but I do interact with them multiple times per day, even if it's only in 5-10 minute intervals. They have plenty of room, so it's not an overcrowding issue, multiple food & water dishes so everyone can eat when they want to and spend the day roaming the yard. She's only aggressive toward me, not the other chickens.

She's my favorite chicken and I DON'T want to rehome her or cull her but I also can't keep getting attacked like this. What gives, and what do I do about it?!?
Did you change something about yourself? Hair, tattoos, new shirt, etc can cause chickens to feel uncomfortable due to change...

Carry a switch and swat her good if she even looks at you sideways, then carry said stick every time you come in the chicken area until she gets over herself. Nip it, nip it in the bud....

Good luck

Gary
If that would work I'd do it, but if I respond with perceived aggression it seems to up the ante for her. She did just come up to bite me and I put her right into a submissive squat and she seemed to give up and walk away. I'll keep at it. I'm wondering why she started doing it in the first place. Animals don't attack for sport. Especially not another being that's about 100x their size and their source of treats and goodies. There must be a cause.

Hmmm. I've never had a hen react like that. :confused: Sorry, I can't be more help! A roo, now that's another story! Your story sounds exactly like what happened with my 2 roos... sweet, hand-raised little fluff balls, that one day just decided to become crazy teenagers. They pecked us, flew at us, drew blood, would try to spur me in the back of my legs (silly boys didn't have their spurs yet, though... thankfully!). Unfortunately we had to send them to freezer camp... I have kids & it wasn't worth the risk. Hopefully you can figure out what's setting her off. I wonder if it's hormones & will pass!?! I know you said she just came into lay, but is she by chance going through a light molt? Maybe she's being aggressive because she's nervous of being held? No clue... just spit-balling here!!

There are lots of theories to this kind of switch in behavior, although I don't really think it's a switch so much as a maturity issue. Think of it this way: You've been handling her since she was a day old. She trusted you, she was comfortable, and she was a baby. Now she's maturing - laying eggs and preparing for the day she might become a Mama. She never learned that you are not a flockmate, or that you are the boss lady. To her you were just another member of her flock, and as she prepares for motherhood, you are suddenly just as much a threat to her position in the pecking order and just as much a possible threat to her eggs and her little someday-maybe family as any other chicken out there. She's putting you in your place. She's in charge, she's determined to be top hen, she's protecting the lower ranked hens, and she's also determined to keep reminding you that you need to keep your distance. It stinks, but it's chicken-nature.

As much as I hate to recommend striking any animal, if you want to keep her you need to reassert your dominance over her. I don't think a rooster would help in this case, although it might. He'd be in charge of the flock (if she'd let him - some hard headed hens don't) but she'd still be top hen and she's not going to let anyone take her place among the ladies. So yes, carry that stick. Don't really swack her....usually a tap will do it. Yes, she'll come at you again- she already knows you are afraid of her and that you will back down. When you're feeding or walking out there, avert your eyes but walk straight to her, then right through her as if you don't even see her. If she charges, swack!

Holding her and carrying her around might work as well, as it does for stubborn roosters. But, like the rooster walk of shame and time out, it doesn't always work.

Don't resent her for doing what she is wired to do as far as protecting. And try not to take it personally because it has nothing to do with suddenly not liking you anymore and everything to do with instincts overcoming affection. Good luck!

Last edited:
Blooie has nailed it. The OP has not changed - the hen has. The hen has grown up and is determined to subordinate the OP. In these instances pecking at, swatting at, kicking at only encourages retaliation. The hen needs to be subordinated. Forcing firmly to the ground/repeating until she gives up, scooping her up in a short handled fishing net and carrying her around. Anything to take the control away from her MAY work. Don't tolerate this behavior or it will only become worse.

Back
Top Bottom