Favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Leah and peeps, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Post your favorite Christmas cookie (or any cookie) recipe! [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

These are my favorite Christmas cookies to make. It's a traditon to cut them out and ice them with our daughters. The dough is FANTASTIC to work with (no refrigeration required!) and the lemon makes them actually taste good! They freeze wonderfully so you can bake ahead and take them out as needed.
    Here's the link to the BYC Recipe section where it is also listed: https://www.backyardchickens.com/recipes/?p=recipe&recipe=489

For the cookies:
    4 cups sifted flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 ½ cups sugar
    2 eggs AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
    ¾ cup butter (1 ½ sticks) AT ROOM TEMPERATURE (DO NOT Melt it!)
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    zest of one lemon

For the Icing:
    ½ cup powdered sugar
    1Tblsp water
    1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
    some lemon zest
    food coloring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For cookies:
    In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients.

In a second bowl (with a stand mixer or electric mixer), beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla and lemon zest.

Stir in flour mixture one third at a time to make a stiff dough.

Divide dough into 4 pieces and wrap each one until ready to roll out. DO NOT REFRIDGERATE DOUGH!

Roll out one piece at a time to ¼ inch thickness and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Don’t roll out too thinly.

Bake ON PARCHMENT PAPER until light golden (approx. 12 minutes). Cool before decorating.

For Icing:
    Mix sugar, lemon juice & zest and water to form a thick, smooth icing. Stir in food coloring to reach desired shade(s).
    Any sprinkles must be added before icing dries. It dries quickly.

[​IMG]

3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

4. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Mine is raisin filled. They are alot of work, since it takes two cookies to make one. These are great with a cup of tea! [​IMG]

JEN'S RAISIN FILLED COOKIES

1 C butter 1 tsp vanilla
    2 C brown sugar 1 tsp baking soda
    3 eggs, well beaten 4 C flour

Cream butter, add sugar, eggs and vanilla. Sift soda with flour and add to butter/egg mixture. Roll thin and cut. Put spoonful fo filling on top, and put another cookie on top.
    I use a slightly larger cookie on top to accomodate the filling. Bake at 375 deg. for 15 min. Yield : 2 doz.

Filling:

2 C raisins 6 heaping Tbls flour
    2 C brown sugar 2 C water

Combine all ingrdients for the filling and cook until thick and clear. Cool

Jen

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I got this recipe off allrecipes.com; they are addictive! I used semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the milk chocolate. Several reviewers said the milk chocolate was just too sweet. The cookies were wonderful so I will have to say that I think the semi-sweet works very well.

Several reviewers said not to chill the cookies as directed because it messes up the chocolate. I let mine sit overnight before cutting and they were perfect.

Caramel Shortbread Squares

Ingredients
    · 2/3 cup butter, softened
    · 1/4 cup white sugar
    · 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    · 1/2 cup butter
    · 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    · 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    · 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
    · 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
    2. In a medium bowl, mix together 2/3-cup butter, white sugar, and flour until evenly crumbly. Press into a 9-inch square-baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
    3. In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 1/2-cup butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes. Pour over baked crust (warm or cool). Cool until it begins to firm.
    4. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, then stir and continue to heat and stir at 20-second intervals until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour chocolate over the caramel layer and spread evenly to cover completely. Chill. Cut into 1-inch squares. These need to be small because they are so rich.

[​IMG]

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:YUM! I'll eat anything with condensed milk in it!! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this one.

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Your welcome......I forgot to add that I also put chopped pecans in the caramel filling.

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I love Mexican Wedding Cakes

1 cup butter, softened
    8 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups chopped walnuts
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
    Mix all the ingredients together with a mixer until well blended. Roll dough into round small balls.
    Bake for 10-12 minutes.
    Cool completely then roll in additional confectionary sugar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by