Favorite *Clean* Chicken Waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BekkiH, Feb 28, 2013.

1. BekkiH

BekkiH Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    I have a regular ol' fountain waterer for my chickens (had 6, lost 3). They kept perching on the thing and pooping in it, filling it with dirt, etc.

I have another 20 chicks coming in April. I'm definitely going to have to buy another waterer. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for something that will keep the poop and dirt out??

2. CountryBoy44

CountryBoy44 New Egg

Feb 6, 2013
    i had this issue to, i found if i cut some chicken wire to fit around a standard plastic water's base it seemed to make them less intised to sit on it. and the holes still allow them to drink without any problems. if your worried about them still getting dirt or shavings in it you can suspend the waterer above the ground. the perfect height is so they can just get their beaks into the water. this should keep the debris out if they start scratching at the ground around it

3. PlanterTomato

PlanterTomato Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Palo Alto, CA
    I designed the Britetap waterer so I'm biased. That said, you can check out the reviews by real customers who are not biased at www.ChickenWaterer.com.

4. Odon

Odon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    Hello BekkiH, I have been using a new drinker called The Thirsty Bird and it works great. I do not have to clean and refill the old water founts any more, I just installed The Thirsty Bird and hooked it up to my faucet and that is it. It comes with everything needed to hook to a water faucet or hose, it has an internal float that keeps it full always. Take a look at thethirstybird.com and see what you think. I am getting ten more birds so I am adding one of their remote drinkers for them. Don

5. Lupa Duende

Lupa Duende Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    How does the Thirsty Bird fare in winter?

6. Odon

Odon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    I have had mine out all this winter here in Anderson CA. It is inside the coop that has three sides covered, temps here in the winter sometimes get down into the low 20's and I have had no freezing problems so far this winter. I also have a Thirsty Bird that is hanging out in the open so the girls have water when they free range in the afternoons and I have had no freeze problems with that one yet as well. I imagine that they would freeze up during a good cold spell with a wind and the cold lasted for a good length of time. If that happens here I would probably wrap them with pipe heat tape to keep them from freezing, to me it will be worth it because I hate to clean and refill the old style waterers. Hope this helps. Don

7. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    I wondering about the freezing too as it can get to -40Celcius here in Northern Canada.

8. Odon

Odon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    I will use the Frostex brand of self regulating pipe heater tape as it needs no thermostat and turns itself on and off as needed, it also comes with ground fault switch and stainless steel webbing on the outside so it looks real durable. Will post if I have to go this route as to how well it works. Don

9. Silseb

Silseb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Pigeon waterers. They are covered so the birds can't perch on them, or foul the water. Have a loop for hanging on top, although i just raise mine up on a block.
    They can freeze and expand and not crack.
    Downside is the water access holes are not huge so they would probably be for bantams only.
    Twin city poultry supply sells them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by