Favorite Cold Weather Treat

desertgirl

Roo Magnet
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Albuquerque,NM
For my girls-some mornings it is the Frasier Special ("Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs"), on really cold mornings it is oatmeal,scratch and whatever else is handy.

What are your favs?

This winter they were enjoying a morning mix of alfalfa meal, crushed red chili peppers, ground corn (scratch), homemade kefir (like drinkable yogurt) & some warm water. But, when the hard freezes hit, this mix would freeze within 20 min & stay frozen all day. So, I stopped putting any water in it & just barely moisten the dry stuff with the kefir (made from 2% milk) & it stopped freezing. The milk fat in the kefir didn't freeze like the water did & it stayed edible all day.

Quote:
Also, I forgot to mention that I mix in the following to the above: ground blk sunflower & Nutri-Balancer vit/min. Not only do they appreciate getting this in the mornings & expect something, but each of the items have a specific purpose for supplement feeding in a small amount. This helps with their fertility, egg laying & general health. I just have everything mixed together in a container, then add the Nutri-Balancer vit/min & a splash of the Kefir before feeding. It's quick & easy.

My Winter Dinner Special
Use your own judgement of how much you will need. This is an economical feed/treat for my chickens. You can also be Creative! Find market specials on fruits and veggies.
See what your guys and gals prefer. They will absolutely love it! Amy
Fill large cook pot with water
Add chopped Sweet Potato
Bring to a boil
Add rice (or oatmeal)
Cook until potatoes are tender and rice is fluffy
Add a large container of applesauce
Let set until only nice and warm
Spoon out to your flock and watch them enjoy!

Spinach, turnips, parsnips, greens, cabbage, apples, berries, carrots, celery, beans, and peas, can be mixed and matched.
Also buy cheap generic cereals. Simply add them to boiling water and voila! Treat!

not yet, gotta do some shopping but sounds delicious! should I share it with the chickens?
wink.png

One of my winter specials is: slice a pumpkin or squash in half, cook till tender. After it cools down add left overs; rice, beans or whatever is handy. I mix it all up pulling squash from sides. They love it
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom