1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

favorite eggs- which and why?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by daxigait, Oct 26, 2015.

1. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    OK for all of you who have had multiple breeds, which produces your favorite eggs and why are they your favorite?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I have two favorites; one practical and one aesthetic. My practical favorites are the brown eggs of Black Sex Links as they have tended to be my largest eggs with double yolks not being uncommon. My aesthetic favorites are the very dark brown eggs of the chocolate layers such as Marans and Welsummers. I personally think they are the prettiest eggs in chicken world.

3. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I have never seen those browns in person,but I have seen them in pictures with EE eggs. What are your blk sex links a cross between? I am asking on eggs because I plan to add a few different types of chickens in the spring including EE just because the eggs are pretty.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    My favorite eggs are from my golden Sebright hen. In my experience, bantam eggs have a lot more flavor than standard breeds.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    My Black Sex Links were the standard hatchery cross; Rhode Island Red rooster X Barred Rock hen.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Taste wise to me, eggs are eggs no matter the hen or breed. My taste buds just aren't that sensitive.

I do like color in my egg carton, though. Easter eggers are great, cause there are so many shades of green and blue you can get. But I agree with Michael, for sheer quantity and size, you can't beat a sex link.

7. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I have noticed density and color differences, but only four of sixteen hens from four breeds have started laying so far.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    My answer is pretty much the same as others have said...my red sex link girls lay the biggest and the 1 EE I have lays the prettiest light bluish-green but taste-wise, they all taste the same to me.

I am thinking about getting a few ducks in the spring and I've heard their eggs are pretty tasty. People describe them as creamy (and of course, larger than a chicken egg). It would be fun to try those.

9. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Turkey eggs are delicious! [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Don't beat me but, my favorite eggs are the Cadbury chocolate eggs at Easter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by