Favorite Electric fencing to keep fox away

Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
Looking for a good electric fence system for the fence around my coop. Coop is secure with an apron around the perimeter. The fence around the coop is not - apparently. A mangy fox wiggled his way under and grabbed one of my girls. She is in rough shape with a large piece of skin missing on her back. We’ve treated her with antibiotic ointment and waiting to get other info on how to treat her (or if we should euthanize her).

Back to my original question …. We have an electric source, so solar is not needed. What do you recommend for an electric fence (keep in mind that we have a dog, she doesn’t try to get in their area, but I don’t want her to get hurt either) - and where would you recommend we place the wires? We do have a 5’ wide gate on the front corner. Picture of my setup for reference. Thank you all for your input!!

01EE25FE-7239-40A9-AC24-0A9FE8F1ADAA.jpeg

Beautiful set-up you have there!
You would run the Premier fence either just inside or just outside your existing fence. Or, you could forget the netting fence and just run electric tape/wire around your current fence at different levels - you would screw the insulators into your existing fence posts. All supplies for that are also available from Premier or Kencove.
I use the netting type fence so I have never used the tape but if I had a solid fence like that I think I would go in that direction rather than the netting.

With nice sturdy posts like yours and decent fence height, I'd also go with either electric tape or electric wire. We have 5' no climb horse fence (with t-posts and metal corner posts) around our entire barnyard. We have a strand of the narrow yellow tape along the top edge, and the wire along the bottom, (clunky, but we had to do it that way). The hot tape/wire has been exceptional in keeping everything that walks/crawls/climbs away from my free-ranging chickens, knock wood. Does require vigilant maintenance but well worth it.

Run the tape or wire on the outside of your fence, at two levels: near the ground, maybe 5" up, and also at the top (outside) of fence all the way around. Use insulators that keep the tape or wire off of your fence material, but within maybe out 4 to 6" from the fence. TSC has a variety of components, tapes, wires, fence chargers which would work. Those extended insulators which usually go on chain link fence are easy to use with other fence styles.

Your gate, presumably, is also covered with either chicken wire or another wire, otherwise it will be a point of entry. For gates, we put a separate wire "border" around the gate itself, again on the outside, and use plastic conduit underground to run the lines connecting the gate wire to the rest of the fence wire.

Since we have bunnies and armadillos who love to dig, I've had to attach a wire apron section along the bottom of my fence, all the way around, nearly 3 acres in size. That helps nearly as much as the electric fence. Sounds daunting but well worth the time and some coin you'll spend.

WRT your pup, she might get zapped one time, without harm, but it will be a beneficial training experience and she likely won't try again.

Could you show a photo of how your apron is connected to the bottom of your run. The apron and fence should not have a gap that a fox can get through. If a fox can get through so can many other critters. Before I comment too much I'd like to see what you have.

I agree about your dog. She may get zapped one time but that won't hurt her and she is highly unlikely to get zapped again.

I use electric netting, not an electric fence. With your set-up I'd think an electric fence is the way to go. Don't hesitate to call Premiere1 and chat with them. Part of their service is to help you get it right. Remember to ask about the gate.

The poultry netting is portable, so you could create a fenced in yard for your chickens , then put it around the existing chicken estate. Change as needed. I am currently using 42" high Premier netting and it is keeping a couple of foxes and additional raccoons out.

You need to remember to plug it in, though.

With nice sturdy posts like yours and decent fence height, I'd also go with either electric tape or electric wire. We have 5' no climb horse fence (with t-posts and metal corner posts) around our entire barnyard. We have a strand of the narrow yellow tape along the top edge, and the wire along the bottom, (clunky, but we had to do it that way). The hot tape/wire has been exceptional in keeping everything that walks/crawls/climbs away from my free-ranging chickens, knock wood. Does require vigilant maintenance but well worth it.

Run the tape or wire on the outside of your fence, at two levels: near the ground, maybe 5" up, and also at the top (outside) of fence all the way around. Use insulators that keep the tape or wire off of your fence material, but within maybe out 4 to 6" from the fence. TSC has a variety of components, tapes, wires, fence chargers which would work. Those extended insulators which usually go on chain link fence are easy to use with other fence styles.

Your gate, presumably, is also covered with either chicken wire or another wire, otherwise it will be a point of entry. For gates, we put a separate wire "border" around the gate itself, again on the outside, and use plastic conduit underground to run the lines connecting the gate wire to the rest of the fence wire.

Since we have bunnies and armadillos who love to dig, I've had to attach a wire apron section along the bottom of my fence, all the way around, nearly 3 acres in size. That helps nearly as much as the electric fence. Sounds daunting but well worth the time and some coin you'll spend.

WRT your pup, she might get zapped one time, without harm, but it will be a beneficial training experience and she likely won't try again.
Thank you so much for your input!!!

Back
Top Bottom