Favorite Goose Breed

oldhenlikesdogs

Great Horny Toads
Staff member
Premium member
Jul 16, 2015
central Wisconsin
Just as the title says, I want to know what everyone's favorite breed is. If possible share what you love about your chosen breed.

I'm planning to add a few more to my farm next year and I'm trying to pin down what breed. I have a trio of American buff females. They have been a handful to raise, but has turned into wonderful silly critters that I look forward to seeing and hearing from daily.

So please can you help me pick what to add next year. I wanted to try a different breed so I can tell them apart from my buffs otherwise I would go with more of them. I'm considering Toulouse, and Pilgrims, but would love to hear about all breeds.

Thanks everyone. Who knew I would become so in love with my geese when I once feared them. :)

oldhenlikesdogs

Great Horny Toads
Staff member
Premium member
Jul 16, 2015
central Wisconsin
I wonder what a goose would do with a leg band? :) They sure like fiddling with ever latch and dangling string. That's a good idea.

I'm reading Toulouse are more gentle too, but i don't know. My buff turned out so perfect for us here. I want to repeat my success. Maybe i just get a few males, and problems solved. Lot to think about.

oldhenlikesdogs

Great Horny Toads
Staff member
Premium member
Jul 16, 2015
central Wisconsin
When I was little my grandma had geese and they were pure devils! I've been afraid of them since then, but lately I've been seriously considering getting a few. Maybe I'll get a couple of Buffs in the spring.
:)
Mine have been pretty good. I didn't handle them too much so they still go the other way if I go towards them, but they always run towards me to greet me honking and flapping. I have been converted to a goose lover. I think they will slowly take the place of my goats. They are less work.

KDOGG331

Release the Ferrets!!
Premium member
Jan 18, 2008
Massachusetts
Mine have been pretty good. I didn't handle them too much so they still go the other way if I go towards them, but they always run towards me to greet me honking and flapping. I have been converted to a goose lover. I think they will slowly take the place of my goats. They are less work.

View attachment 1978735
Man are they cute :love

I love their bright orange legs and beaks LOL

Top Bottom