Favorite Goose Breed

I know you already ordered, but it looks like others are browsing this thread too to decide about geese, so I can't resist talking up Tufted Romans :) They are a fantastic breed. Docile and friendly, even the ganders are pretty mild-mannered - and during breeding season too! Worst I've ever gotten from them is them hissing at me while moving out of my way.

They're also the smallest domestic breed, so they're easy to handle and don't eat as much as larger breeds, which is nice when the food bill is a concern.

Their tufts are adorable and a good way to get a crest fix in your waterfowl without having to feel guilty about breeding crested ducks, because unlike in ducks, the tufts on these guys don't cause any problems, it isn't a lethal gene, etc.

Bonus, they are also autosexing if you know what you're looking for.

I really can't tell how much they eat because I'm feeding a bunch of birds together. They can be noisy, and need room to run.

Thanks! That makes sense. Our yard is pretty big so they could have the whole thing if they wanted hah it’s not fenced though but we’re planning on fencing it or at least part of it. But oh boy.. how noisy!? :lau

I wouldn’t mind but the neighbors might lol

Maybe I’ll put them far away from them.

I know you already ordered, but it looks like others are browsing this thread too to decide about geese, so I can't resist talking up Tufted Romans :) They are a fantastic breed. Docile and friendly, even the ganders are pretty mild-mannered - and during breeding season too! Worst I've ever gotten from them is them hissing at me while moving out of my way.

They're also the smallest domestic breed, so they're easy to handle and don't eat as much as larger breeds, which is nice when the food bill is a concern.

Their tufts are adorable and a good way to get a crest fix in your waterfowl without having to feel guilty about breeding crested ducks, because unlike in ducks, the tufts on these guys don't cause any problems, it isn't a lethal gene, etc.

They sound like an amazing breed! :love

I really can't tell how much they eat because I'm feeding a bunch of birds together. They can be noisy, and need room to run.
Same with me all my birds eat out of long goat feeders from TSC and although I have 3 feed stations I will say the geese like to dominate one specifically they are kind of like the bully on the school ground., I am bigger and badder, Before bed I pour all let over feed into 2 bowls for finishing up and the geese will eat some but mainly just stand at it so no one else can get to eat. Brats! I usually let them eat but as soon as they finish and go for water I remove them from the area so others have a chance to eat.

I haven't even considered them. I like trying different breeds, so I may have a look next time. I'm sure there will be a next time. Being smaller and not aggressive is something I'm looking for.

Thanks also for the information about the crests in geese. I didn't know that about crests in ducks as I have only kept muscovy in the last 20 years.

Same with me all my birds eat out of long goat feeders from TSC and although I have 3 feed stations I will say the geese like to dominate one specifically they are kind of like the bully on the school ground., I am bigger and badder, Before bed I pour all let over feed into 2 bowls for finishing up and the geese will eat some but mainly just stand at it so no one else can get to eat. Brats! I usually let them eat but as soon as they finish and go for water I remove them from the area so others have a chance to eat.
Mine seem to think they are the bosses of the bowls too. :)

My favorite is Canadian because we found a tiny “duckling” right after we got our first ever ducks pekins and we’re so inexperienced. So apparently he was a gosling and he’s stayed with us no wing clips ever he just thinks he’s a sassy duck. Waiting for his mating season self though because they don’t hit it as early as domestic geese.
One Chinese we had to give away because he was attacking the Canadian and it was going to murder him. Def wouldn’t recommend them.
Other Chinese was disabled we rescued him from years and years of abuse it would seem- long story.. he was the sweetest thing I ever met but I think it was because his life was so hard.
Lucifer idk what kind he is actually I think he’s mix he hisses during mating season and I point at him and he walks away lol he’s the biggest baby my kittens used to chase him and he’d run away hissing. So he’s a good bratty boy...screams his head off too so very good watch goose.
First is Philip little and big, then Luce yelling, last my angel

Attachments

• BA7776C0-682D-4782-AFF0-C36310A8E48F.jpeg
    BA7776C0-682D-4782-AFF0-C36310A8E48F.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 13
  • 0A67FC69-36A9-4C75-A0E5-EE311D8FCF9A.jpeg
    0A67FC69-36A9-4C75-A0E5-EE311D8FCF9A.jpeg
    718.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 8066BA08-4E8B-4148-AB22-753F83ABE773.jpeg
    8066BA08-4E8B-4148-AB22-753F83ABE773.jpeg
    976.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 27C6E172-7ECE-4B21-B7B8-D7815D773BBD.jpeg
    27C6E172-7ECE-4B21-B7B8-D7815D773BBD.jpeg
    767.8 KB · Views: 9
  • EBBC6E24-F412-4A93-ACFF-3C0C8CC1666E.jpeg
    EBBC6E24-F412-4A93-ACFF-3C0C8CC1666E.jpeg
    743.4 KB · Views: 10
  • BB2EE47A-608A-4E8E-9935-4170868E8AD5.jpeg
    BB2EE47A-608A-4E8E-9935-4170868E8AD5.jpeg
    792.3 KB · Views: 11
My favorite is Canadian because we found a tiny “duckling” right after we got our first ever ducks pekins and we’re so inexperienced. So apparently he was a gosling and he’s stayed with us no wing clips ever he just thinks he’s a sassy duck. Waiting for his mating season self though because they don’t hit it as early as domestic geese.
One Chinese we had to give away because he was attacking the Canadian and it was going to murder him. Def wouldn’t recommend them.
Other Chinese was disabled we rescued him from years and years of abuse it would seem- long story.. he was the sweetest thing I ever met but I think it was because his life was so hard.
Lucifer idk what kind he is actually I think he’s mix he hisses during mating season and I point at him and he walks away lol he’s the biggest baby my kittens used to chase him and he’d run away hissing. So he’s a good bratty boy...screams his head off too so very good watch goose.
First is Philip little and big, then Luce yelling, last my angel
That's a diverse trio. :) The Chinese scare me. The Geese, not the people.

Back
Top Bottom