Favorite Goose Breed

Pics
I know you already ordered, but it looks like others are browsing this thread too to decide about geese, so I can't resist talking up Tufted Romans :) They are a fantastic breed. Docile and friendly, even the ganders are pretty mild-mannered - and during breeding season too! Worst I've ever gotten from them is them hissing at me while moving out of my way.

They're also the smallest domestic breed, so they're easy to handle and don't eat as much as larger breeds, which is nice when the food bill is a concern.

Their tufts are adorable and a good way to get a crest fix in your waterfowl without having to feel guilty about breeding crested ducks, because unlike in ducks, the tufts on these guys don't cause any problems, it isn't a lethal gene, etc.

Bonus, they are also autosexing if you know what you're looking for.

:love The Romans were my absolute first choice, from reading your posts about them! But I ran out of time to order from hatcheries. :( Maybe some day, when I have enough space for separate runs .... I worry my African pair would harass smaller, milder mannered geese.

:love The Romans were my absolute first choice, from reading your posts about them! But I ran out of time to order from hatcheries. :( Maybe some day, when I have enough space for separate runs .... I worry my African pair would harass smaller, milder mannered geese.

I sell and ship them too ;) Let me know if you're ever interested in hatching eggs or goslings, I can hook you up, haha.

They'd probably do okay with larger geese; I had some American crosses for a bit and the Romans did fine with them. I've even seen them stand their ground and hiss at the emus when they are running around and get a bit too close.

But separate runs are nice if you wanted to breed and keep them all purebred. I keep separate runs during breeding season so I can split out breeding groups the way I want.

I adored my emden, she went missing unexpectedly two years ago, we just placed an order for 3 more (minimum order) for march hatching... super sweet girl!
How exciting to get new ones. Sorry you lost the one. I'm glad to hear they are also a good breed. I have a feeling I may just keep trying different breeds until I'm full up on geese.

I only had 4 at one time and those 4 became like a gang, started picking on any bird they could surround duck or chicken. I finally ended up rehoming the 2 youngest[full grown] because I just knew I was going to find a dead or plucked bird if I kept them all. I kept the 2 oldest because I knew no one would put up with Samson and his orneriness. If I had all 10 acres fenced in it may have worked but half acre just wasn't enough I guess to keep them from getting into trouble.:(

I only had 4 at one time and those 4 became like a gang, started picking on any bird they could surround duck or chicken. I finally ended up rehoming the 2 youngest[full grown] because I just knew I was going to find a dead or plucked bird if I kept them all. I kept the 2 oldest because I knew no one would put up with Samson and his orneriness. If I had all 10 acres fenced in it may have worked but half acre just wasn't enough I guess to keep them from getting into trouble.:(
During the summer months I block my geese on the goat side of the shed and they run with the goats. So far they have been behaving themselves have full run of the shed f the winter. I don't have any males currently. They might change things.

Back
Top Bottom