favorite hatcheries???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PurplePoppiPpl, Dec 25, 2012.

1. PurplePoppiPpl

PurplePoppiPpl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    North Western Wisconsin
    i ordered from cackle hatchery last year and was very pleased i didnt lose any chicks, and it was only my first time. This year i already have a flock of ten chickens and only want to get five or so more of diffrent breeds, cackle will only do 5 of each breed... also i heard that hatchery bought chicks wont always have particularaly dark eggs that may be partial that breed, in other words i was hoping to get a maran or Welsummer to get true dark eggs i was wondering if i could still from a hatchery and which ones you can order one of a single breed....
    thanks!

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I ordered 5 Americanas from Meyer Hatchery, so did both of my uncle's, who always order large amounts. None of my girls died, and my uncles farms are still doing great!

1 person likes this.
  3. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I have ordered from Meyer for a few years and have been very happy. I ordered 9 bantams from My Pet Chicken of four different breeds with no problems. I'm ordering from Cackle and efowl for the first time this year- we'll see how that goes :)

Tammie

1 person likes this.
  4. mandyree

mandyree New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    We ordered 12 hens from Ideal Poultry here in Texas. We are very pleased. They put roosters in the box for warmth.

1 person likes this.
  5. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

when we don't hatch out our own - due to getting half males - we order day old female chicks from Meyer and have been very pleased with the robustness as well as look of the chicks.

6. chicks are me

chicks are me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    I got my chicks from Meyer hatchery, my Welsummers are gorgeous and looked like little chickmunks(as we call them because they look like chipmunks) just as they should and the minimal number of chicks is 3.

7. chicks are me

chicks are me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    we are also now getting about eighteen to twenty more

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by