favorite hatchery?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ninjascrub69, Sep 4, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I just wanted to know what hatcheries you prefer, im going to be ordering some more chicks soon and want to switch hatcheries.

2. sheilaschooks

sheilaschooks New Egg

Apr 7, 2010
    [​IMG]I ordered 5 pullets from My Pet Chicken (Meyer hatchery) this last March. My first chickens..Yeah!!
    They arrived in California the next day after hatch, all alive and well. No roosters and all are now laying.
    So yes, I am well satisfied with Meyer.

3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:Hmmm, i'll have to try it out. Good luck with your pullets [​IMG]

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    This past Spring I ordered 32 chicks from McMurray. Hatched out Fri afternoon and we picked them up at 8 AM Sunday. All chicks were jumpy, spunky, and rarin' to go. All survived and laying now at 23 wks. I will be ordering 50 more from them in March 2011. Our local guy unfortunatly (sp) died. So this was really a gamble for me. Just like any venture you put your money down and hope for the best.

5. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I have to say my favorite is Ideal they have a huge selection of breeds to choose from, and have great customer service. All of the chicks I've ever received from them were healthy and very lively.

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I've tried Meyer, Mt. Healthy, Ideal and McMurray. I feel that the best quality comes from McMurray, the best deals from Meyer, and I LOVE Ideal for it's variety and customer service, plus it allows you to order a minimum of $25 vs. 25 CHICKS. which I often take advantage of. So McMurray if they have the breed I need and I can handle 25 of them, but Ideal otherwise for everything else.

7. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    We used Cackle this year. I was overall pleased with my order. I did loose a total of 3 chicks that I actually paid for, and the 2 freebies they sent so 5 total. It doesn't surprise me, as when we bought from TSC earlier in the year we lost quite a few. When I order I expect a few losses. Customer service was helpful. I will say the only thing that I didn't like was they made us order a total of 25 chicks. When we got the order we received a note stating they are sorry our order is short, but there was a problem and some didn't ship. We'd be refunded within 30 days. Called and they said our Silver duckwing phoenix was a bad clutch and they didn't get enough chicks, and it was the last of the season. We ended up still getting the 25 chicks + 2 extras, and we DID get 5 phoenix-- I don't know what color yet. I was just upset that they just shipped and never notified us our order was short. Especially as the reason why we did the order was solely for the phoenix, and added the others to meet the quantity needed.

Needless to say I did get my total of 25 chicks I ordered, 5 of them ARE phoenix but I don't know what variety, and I WAS refunded the money for the silver duckwings. So all in all we paid for 20 chicks, and were given 7 extra.

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I like ordering from MPC but they get chicks from other hatcheries.
    Caroline

9. dvet89

dvet89 New Egg

Aug 26, 2010
    I have used Mcmurray for the past 10 years and they have never let me down. They have the best quality chicks (I think) and they are reasonable. I have 50 or so from them right now and all are doing great, they gave me an outstanding variety, and I have 25 more on the way for next week. Good luck in your search [​IMG]

10. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    I like Ideal and Mcmurray

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by