Favorite hen found dead on floor of coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gabby3535, May 23, 2010.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

She was absolutely fine the evening before, but in the morning I found her dead, on the floor of the coop...beak tucked towards chest, forehead on the ground. Comb & wattles purple
    she was only a little over 1 year old.......
    [​IMG]
    What could cause this?
    Do chickens just suddenly DIE?!
    R.I.P. Little miss Goldie (aka, silly chicken is in the kitchen, again!)

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes sometimes sudden death can occur at any age. I've had a few happened that way. Picture of health and next, they were gone.

3. WisconsinGardenChick

WisconsinGardenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    So sorry about your chicken! [​IMG] Believe me, I can empathize. I just logged on to BYC for the first time in a months because I just found my favorite chicken dead on the floor of her pen!! She was exactly in the position you describe.

I just cannot believe it - she was perfectly healthy. Even this morning she was very active. It was very warm here today, for May - 88. I wondered if it was the heat, but their pen is under a tree and very shady. They have plenty of water. And the other two are just fine. (Interestingly, they were giving her corpse a wide berth.)

I've been beating myself up about this, wondering what I could have done to prevent it. But hubby says what the other poster says - sometimes they just die. [​IMG]

4. NWChicks

NWChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    [​IMG] to both of you.

5. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    So sorry to hear about your baby! :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by