Favorite Hen Seems to be Failing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gillman6, Jan 19, 2015.

1. gillman6

gillman6 New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Ohio
    We have a flock of 10 hens all between 18 and 20 weeks old. We have one Barred Rock, "Red", that is our absolute favorite. She has always been loving, friendly, attention seeking, and more voistrous than our other hens. That being said, she has always been her own chicken and not necessarily following the flock.

Over the last week we noticed that when we come around she squacks much louder and longer than normal. Then when we go to leave she starts up again and doesnt stop for a long time. Even when we are out of the coop she carries on. We also noticed that her eyes are cloudy and she pecks at her food very hard and occaionally misses like she cant find it. She has also been shaking while we hold her. The other girls have started to roost at night but Red still sleeps on the gound in the corner. When we put her on the roost to show her, she seems afraid to get down. Lastly, tonight we were letting the flock free range and at dusk all the hens headed in but her. She couldnt seem to find the coop. She headed away from it and finally settled in the woods until we picked her up.

We are very concerned for her as she seems to be getting further from normal. And we fear for the health of the other hens. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of behavior?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she may be losing her eyesight. Cloudiness in the eyes can be a sign of infection or cataracts. There are other conditions that it could be, such as an eye injury or Mareks disease. Could you post a picture of her eyes? She could be calling to the others because she can't see well. Here are 2 good links to read about eye disorders, and be patient with downloading the second one:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031
    http://www.joneshamiltonag.com/jh/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/PLT_Poultry-Eye-Disorders.pdf

3. gillman6

gillman6 New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

I hope this photo attaches. Thank you so much for the links. I will look into those now.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Poor girl. It does look cloudy, but at least the pupil isn't dilated. I would put poultry vitamins including A and E in her water.

1 person likes this.
  5. gillman6

gillman6 New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Ohio
    Thank you again! We have started a vitamin regiment for her. I also picked up some anti-biotics just in case she takes a turn for the worst.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by